• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dynamics

Share/Bookmark

Dynamics

I am working on a piece which includes Soundiron men's chorus, GPO and IO. I am entering the notes into Finale 2014. For some reason, the dynamics do not change when they are supposed to. I recently did virtually the same thing on another piece, but finally replaced IO entries with GPO and the dynamics seemed to improve. Anyone have a similar problem?

Re: Dynamics

It sounds like human playback is not recognizing IO. I do not have IO so I'm afraid I can't test it out. Maybe RandyB or Michael will see this and respond. Good luck Tom.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I am working on a piece which includes Soundiron men's chorus, GPO and IO. I am entering the notes into Finale 2014. For some reason, the dynamics do not change when they are supposed to. I recently did virtually the same thing on another piece, but finally replaced IO entries with GPO and the dynamics seemed to improve. Anyone have a similar problem?
    Finale's HP is only programmed to work with a few Garritan libraries. I don't know if IO or World is included. Basically to get IO or Soundiron to respond to Finale's marking's you'll need to create a set of custom HP preferences.

Go into your playback controls, click HP Preferences, duplicate the default preferences with a new name (so your original isn't over-written) , under instrument techniques examine the Garritan entries. Look at what midi controllers are listed and how they're controlled. Create an new instrument name for one of the sounds you need, apply the appropriate midi controllers and so forth, in your finale score make sure you name your staff the same name as the HP technique you've edited. If you did this all correctly, then HP should apply the correct controllers to the staff during playback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    ...Go into your playback controls, click HP Preferences...etc.
    --!! So much for MM supporting what's supposed to their flagship software instruments! Unbelievable.

Randy

I assumed I was doing something wrong. Why would a company overlook basics like dynamic settings twixt their own products.

Financially I don't like the idea of change, but MM is making Kontakt 5 look better and better with every new project I start. What's worse is that when I write them they refer me to their in-house blog to find the answers. Surely they know of this problem.

I did get an extensive answer back from Finale saying that they tried the same procedure that I am using and they found the same problem. That's twice in as many weeks that I've run into major incompatibilities between ARIA and Garritan libraries.

...That's twice in as many weeks that I've run into major incompatibilities between ARIA and Garritan libraries.
    I think you meant to say in compatibilities between Finale and ARIA/Garritan, right, Tom?

They apparently never developed the instrument maps, or whatever Finale calls them, without which, the user has to cobble things together like Jeff explained. That's nuts. And once again, I'm extremely unimpressed with their "support."

Randy

Hi Tom,

Did you try enabling the Expression Switch in Instant Orchestra Instruments to GPO Mode?

- Go to the ARIA Controls Tab.
    - At the bottom left corner of the Controls enable the Expression Switch Button to GPO Mode On.

Best Regards,
    Chad

Tom,

It's really not that big of a deal to do.

For example if you're using Soundiron's Men Chorus, you would create an HP instrument technique and call it "Men's Chorus". You would then select from pull-down list what midi controller controls volume. (CC#1, #11, velocity, etc...) If there are any keyswitches you can add them there as well. Just tell HP what key to press and enter the text that you would like to trigger that keyswitch. Then as long as your staff is named "Men's Chorus", everything should just work.

This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, then once it's done, you can use it forever.

I don't understand your comment of MM making Kontakt look better. Kontakt is a sample player which is not a replacement for Finale or any other DAW. Kontakt and Aria are similar in function.

Go Back to forum