• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 on Pre-sale now...

Share/Bookmark

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 on Pre-sale now...

Just in case anyone else was looking for the ultimate keyboard controller, the new M-audio Keystation Pro 88 midi controller is priced at $499.00 and on pre-sale at www.americanmusical.com

and at:

http://www.eastcoastmusicmall.com/product/NONE/none/MDM+KEYST88.htm

It looks pretty cool...all those knobs and faders right on the controller and at $499.00 it beats Fatar Sl880 and 990 controllers.

Re: M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 on Pre-sale now...

AUGH!! Here I sit in front of my SL-880 that I bought not more than a month ago, for $100 more.

\"Naw, don\'t wait for the M-Audio,\" I thought. \"It will be $1000 or more. Look at all the stuff on it!\"

Oh well. I still like my SL-880. Nice action. Pretty speckled blue. I\'ll just keep telling myself I got a nice controller - it\'ll sound more and more real every time. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Eric

Originally posted by Edward:
    Just in case anyone else was looking for the ultimate keyboard controller, the new M-audio Keystation Pro 88 midi controller is priced at $499.00 and on pre-sale at www.americanmusical.com

and at:

It looks pretty cool...all those knobs and faders right on the controller and at $499.00 it beats Fatar Sl880 and 990 controllers.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Have you played it yet? What\'s the keyboard action like? Weighted wooden keys? Plastic keys?

from http://www.midiman.com/index.php?do=media.new&ID=f1d5e9fa5f5ab5ee94f61b9b 262d906c

Keystation Pro 88, an 88-key hammer-action USB powered MIDI controller ....

4 zones accommodate up to 4 layers or splits per patch....

MIDI-assignable controllers includes 9 faders, 24 rotary controllers and 22 buttons—and pitch wheel, modulation wheel, sustain pedal and controller pedals are all fully assignable....

10 memory locations store all controller settings, and the included Enigma editor provides unlimited storage....

weighs in at approximately 40 lbs

Since the SL-880\'s/990\'s are produced directly at the Fatar keyboard factory, producing most of the key-actions in this world, I can\'t imagine M-Audio could get the same quality action for less. So I conclude the action of the M-Audio probably isn\'t really that studio-worthy, let alone professional-pianist-worthy.

It still hasn\'t the 18 faders you need for Native Instruments B4. Better add a Pocket Fader to a SL-880. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Owning two SL880\'s for a few years no, I wouldn\'t say that this is the \'ultimate\' keyboard that can hardly be improved. Certainly not bad, but I thought its action to be a bit on the heavy and gummmy side for non-piano work.

You wouldn\'t believe it, but I removed from one SL880 about half of the metal \'hammer\' mass for all 88 keys. This made it IMO a bit more suitable for synth and percussion.

What can be improved upon is the feel and consistency. The SL880 uses velocity sensors embedded in a few mm of rubber. These are touched when the key is almost fully down, and then offer a slightly spongy resistance.

Channel after-touch is implemented by the key pressing a single layer of conductive foam that spans the whole 88 key range (the type used for packing static-sensitive IC\'s?). Cost-effective, but not the most technically elegant way.

To be honest, I prefer my old Kord Wavestation action in some cases. It\'s not weighed, but there\'s no rubber in sight (feel)!

Curious about the Keystation Pro-88.
    Wonder where they have sourced the keyboard from...

Cheers, Robert

I wouldn\'t blame the rubber in the SL-880, all modern keyboards use rubber in the sensors, and I don\'t think you can feel them.

Of course the SL-880 is far from a real grand action as are all other keyboards, except for the Kawai MP9500 (that\'s why I sold my SL-880 for a MP9500). By the way, it to has some rubber on the sensor, although it has a totally different sort of sensor (pressure sensor where the hammer hits, instead of a velocity sensor under the keys).

The aftertouch sensor under the keys of the SL-880 is also standard issue; other keyboards use the same sort of sensor. In the SL-880 I found it to be far too uncontrollable to be useful.
    The Kawai hasn\'t got an aftertouch sensor, since the wooden keys change to much over time to make it work. But I prefer good action over aftertouch anytime.

Have you checked out Studiologic\'s new 88 note controller? http://www.studiologic.net/vmk-88.html

looks pretty cool!

Sean
    www.quantum7.com

I checked out the eastcoast site. They got this thing where you can make a bid on an item. I bid 450 and they sent me a coupon to order online.

The bid thing is kind of a pain in the *** , but i did get mine ordered for 450. the coupon code they gave me was ECRPX6605. i don\'t know if it will work for anyone else. you gotta stick this code in the space at the bottom of the cart when you check out.

Originally posted by Edward:

and at:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

hey, studiologic finally got a mature website!
    It now presents the models they actually produce, instead of presenting all those things of the past.
    The VMK-88 looks nice, but aren\'t those sliders a bit small?
    I\'m still waiting for a keyboard manufacturer understanding they don\'t need to make keyboards lighter but \'split-able\' in halves. That would solve most problems for me!

Go Back to forum