• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Where to buy Roland sample libraries?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Where to buy Roland sample libraries?

Does anybody know of any place to buy the Roland L-CDX-03 and L-CDX-04 orchestral sample libraries? I like Roland\'s orchestral stuff in general and would be interested in purchasing and converting these libraries to Giga format using Translator. They don\'t seem that easy to find. Musiciansfriend.com has them for $270 each, but I was wondering if anybody knew where they might be found less expensive? Thanks.

-Shawn

Re: OT: Where to buy Roland sample libraries?

You might find what you\'re looking for in a 2for1 deal at West LA Music.

The LCDX series is not the same as the older orchestral series.

I believe they are taken from the older orchestral series of CDs but do not include all the sounds/atrticulations.

I have the full older(original)Roland Orch family cd set I\'d be willing to sell if you are interested.Please let me know.
    [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Anybody know for sure what the differences are between the older and newer Roland orchestral libraries?

-Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shawn
    Anybody know for sure what the differences are between the older and newer Roland orchestral libraries?

-Shawn
    This question never was answered, was it?
    I'm still curious, myself. I quite enjoy the older Roland library.

I used to own both the 2 CD Orchestral Volume 1 and the 4 CDs in the LCD-X Strings/Percussion and Brass/Woodwind volumes. The Orchestral Library Volume 1 is just Strings and Brass. I compared them with the LCD-Xs that I got free when I bought my XV-5080 and there's no difference in content of the strings and brass, just in the order of some of the instruments. The LCD-Xs also have the advantage of including the Roland Percussion Volume 1 and Super Sax. If you really want to go with them, go with the LCD-Xs.

That being said, your money is better spent on something like EWQLSO Gold, Opus 1, or GPO Advanced, which are programmed for today's machines and build on the experiences learned in the past 10 years of sampling since the Roland Libraries were released. No doubt if Eric had the hardware and resources back then that are available now, we'd all be using the Roland library.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbozo
    I used to own both the 2 CD Orchestral Volume 1 and the 4 CDs in the LCD-X Strings/Percussion and Brass/Woodwind volumes. The Orchestral Library Volume 1 is just Strings and Brass. I compared them with the LCD-Xs that I got free when I bought my XV-5080 and there's no difference in content of the strings and brass, just in the order of some of the instruments. The LCD-Xs also have the advantage of including the Roland Percussion Volume 1 and Super Sax. If you really want to go with them, go with the LCD-Xs.

That being said, your money is better spent on something like EWQLSO Gold, Opus 1, or GPO Advanced, which are programmed for today's machines and build on the experiences learned in the past 10 years of sampling since the Roland Libraries were released. No doubt if Eric had the hardware and resources back then that are available now, we'd all be using the Roland library.
    No way! The old Roland libraries are great. If you can get them for 39.99 on blowout they are well worth it. They might be old, but they have a great sound. Frankly, they pulled off the high violin section better than any library so far. You can really nail the epic 1st and 2nd violins in octaves sound from the Roland library. Some of the percussion is also explosive, although they've been used all over the place for years (I still hear those "grongkas" samples now and then). And sorry to say, the tweaked full string sections from the Peter S. Orchestra set have yet to be surpassed for "fooling the listener". And what about that incredible tuba staccato? How can you possibly top that?

If anyone has the l-cdx discs, can they post a complete patch list?
    Likewise for the older, supposedly larger (lcdp?) set.

I would also be curious to hear how many megabytes in total of samples we are actually talking about here? How much more data is in the discs that was missing from the hardware, and from Edirol Orchestral?

Go Back to forum