• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The ULTIMATE sample library challenge

Share/Bookmark

The ULTIMATE sample library challenge

Okay, that Debussy movement that Andy did knocked my socks off. Seriously. I didn\'t think it could be done that well, but it really was.

I still don\'t think, however, anyone could do a convincing representation with samples of any of these pieces:

- Witold Lutoslawski: Symphonies No. 3

- Per Norgard: Symphony No. 6

- Magnus Lindberg: Feria

- Elliott Carter: Symphonia: Sum Fluxae Pretium Spei

These are just some examples of pieces that are beyond (I think) any attempts.

Any takers? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: The ULTIMATE sample library challenge

Actually I think you have a good point. I\'d like to see some of the major developers produce exclusively modernistic and aleatoric editions of their libraries, complete with quarter tones etc.

I know that SAM and some others have effects patches, and they\'re hugely useful - not just a bunch of tricks. However, full sets dedicated to modern intonations and textures would be very welcome.

I mean, jesus, it\'s nearly a hundred years since Schoenberg set the ball rolling, and people are still writing in C major as if their livelyhoods depend on it... which, of course, they do. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Heath

Oops. Double.

That\'s because listeners don\'t like to listen to Shoenberg anymore today then they did when he wrote it!!!

I have a deep appreciation for the music written and created in the 20th century, but the average listener can\'t handle it. In fact, the average musician can\'t.

Some developers can respond but I don\'t see the market being that big for such a library. Not enough to justify a huge library. But Who knows. Maybe VSL will do it in the future [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

At least the quarter tone part should be simple for the typical library. Most libs are preset at 2 semitone pitch bend, so set your pith bend info to 2048 (8096 is usual full bend, so that\'s a 1/4...

The rest of the avant garde trick book/artifact stuff will have to be created, by and large, but this is a start...

Dasher

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    That\'s because listeners don\'t like to listen to Shoenberg anymore today then they did when he wrote it!!!

I have a deep appreciation for the music written and created in the 20th century, but the average listener can\'t handle it. In fact, the average musician can\'t.

Some developers can respond but I don\'t see the market being that big for such a library. Not enough to justify a huge library. But Who knows. Maybe VSL will do it in the future [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">On the question of the market - remember that twentieth-century special effects and textural experimentation, while never gathering a mass audience in the concert hall, quickly found their way into film scores. You hear that stuff all the time in science fiction, horror, futuristic films etc.

As film & TV is probably the main market that the VSLs and EWQLSOs of this world are geared towards, I\'m sure they\'d sell it.

It would also probably be a lot easier to do this stuff than it has been to do standard traditional sounds. When we hear a violin play a piece of Bach there\'s hundreds of years of tradition defining what it should sound like, making it easy to tell the difference with second-rate samples. But there isn\'t the same clear idea about exactly what it should sound like when bowed behind the bridge, or sitting in a section playing a quarter-tone cluster high on the E string. I think the developers could \"get away\" with more.

spinach ravioli: sorry cant agree at this point - I think that Romantic, Impressionistic era music is harder to mockup than modern. Especially Lutoslawski´s 3´rd is \"redy to mockup\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (no not for me)

Originally posted by handz:
    spinach ravioli: sorry cant agree at this point - I think that Romantic, Impressionistic era music is harder to mockup than modern. Especially Lutoslawski´s 3´rd is \"redy to mockup\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (no not for me)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Seriously? There are intimate, exposed articulations in that piece. Parts of it are almost like a chamber orchestra-ish. When things are really exposed I think it is difficult for samples to be convincing. Not to mention the difficulty of pulling off the semi-aleatoric stuff in a convincing way (which would be more of a performance challenge than a library challenge I admit).

So what do you think would be the ultimate challenge then?

Oh,- dont get me wrong - of course that it will be hard - but I think that more harder will be achieve the true Romantic \"feeling\" of for example: Tchaikovsky´s Pathetique symphony. or What about SCRIABIN´s - Poem of Extase? Dukas´s- Aprntice of the sorcerer (this piece is really hard to record also with real orchestra) GLAZUNOV´s 4rth symphony 1st movement (I really wonder how it could sound with samples) .....

Naw, try Firebird Suite - my all time favorite piece. If anybody can nail that with pizazz - I will bow down for 40 days and 40 nights.

Go Back to forum