• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best collection of Deep South instruments?

Share/Bookmark

Best collection of Deep South instruments?

Hi Everyone.

Just got hired to score a film that takes place in the deep South. This is the first project I will be using my new GigaStudio on (yay!).

Does anyone know of a good collection of instruments associated with the South? I\'m thinking of things like--

* harmonica
    * banjo
    * washboard
    * a couple of guitar licks

You get the idea. I\'ve read something about Bigga Gigga\'s Harmonica CD for GS. Can anyone tell me if they like this or not? For $60, I guess you can\'t go wrong.

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Best collection of Deep South instruments?

Congrats on the film!
    Have you checked out sampleheads.com? They have actual gigs you can download from their site that they sell individually or you can buy the entire library. They also have demos the sounds so you can audition before you buy.
    I would recommend checking out \"Whole Lotta Country\" for stuff like tub bass, banjos, high strung guitars, pedal steel, dobros, fiddles, etc. You\'ll probably find alot of useful stuff from that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ilio\'s Fretworks has some great blues type guitar licks. I think they have a couple of other titles in that genre as well as American Heartland which has some of the instruments you\'re looking for.

Whole Lotta Country is great, you should also look at the Soundsonline.com bargain bin, they have a Country Akai CD for $50 or so, I haven\'t heard it but it could have some other stuff.

You may want to consider the banjo in the \"Vintage Jazz Guitars and Tenor Banjos\" collection from Bardstown Audio.

Here are a couple of mp3\'s of the banjo in this collection.

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/no.mp3

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/rrblues.mp3

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the tips! I will check out the libraries you all mentioned-- especially \"American Heartland\" and \"Whole Lotta Country\". I think those two sound really good.

Time to download some demos!!

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by BlueScreen:
    Hi Everyone.

* harmonica
    * banjo
    * washboard
    * a couple of guitar licks

You get the idea. I\'ve read something about Bigga Gigga\'s Harmonica CD for GS. Can anyone tell me if they like this or not? For $60, I guess you can\'t go wrong.

Thanks for your help!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Howdy Blue,

The Bigga Giggas Harmonica CD you refer to is probably Danny Lux\'s Harmonica Essentials. It\'s absolutely KILLER!! Not individual notes, but a very good harmonica player doing licks in lots of keys and tempos. Very adaptable--you don\'t have to be in the \"right\" key or tempo to get something great. You can even play it live--the licks really fit together very well. Also, it is recorded two ways, mic\'ed acoustically and also \"bullet mic\'ed\" through a guitar amp. Very authentic all the way around.

By the way, Danny Lux is a righteous guy and excellent composer, very successful (He\'s David Kelley\'s \"guy,\" Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Profiler, et. al.). His stuff is always good--his Guitar Essentials is a great set of strummed chords on six and twelve string, plus some A-20 bass samples and drums which sound pretty darn good. Great collection for the price. It\'s the only strum library I know that actually offers various sus chords without thirds--which are excellent for spanning multiple changes and avoiding that chord, chord, chord sort of part that moves a little too much in parallel for authenticity.

For sure, Bardstown Vintage Guitars and Banjos would be a must have for you. That is THE library for the southern sound.

Haven\'t heard a washboard sample, but they\'re easy enough to play...

Hi Bruce.

Thanks for your comments about the Harmonica library. I think you sold me on it! I have long been a fan of Danny Lux\'s underscore to Ally McBeal. Something about the sparseness of just the clarinet and accompaniment is so charming!

Thanks for your help.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by BlueScreen:
    Hi Bruce.

Thanks for your comments about the Harmonica library. I think you sold me on it! I have long been a fan of Danny Lux\'s underscore to Ally McBeal. Something about the sparseness of just the clarinet and accompaniment is so charming!

Thanks for your help.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I like Danny\'s work, too. He\'s a Mike Post protege, not a bad pedigree to have in this biz.

Go Back to forum