• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestration tip#1 (Horns, violas, and celli)

Share/Bookmark

Orchestration tip#1 (Horns, violas, and celli)

Hi,

It seems that the forum went south, and that great thread that started a couple days ago is lost.
    Anyway, Jonathon Cox suggested that we share more pieces with that orchestration.
    I did this Horn ensemble (Actually slow solo horn chords, which kind of sound like woodwinds or something else [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), viola section, and solo cello: http://home.attbi.com/~nxcm/Moonlight.mp3
    It\'s less than 500 Kb, and I was experimenting with some reverb combination and mixing.

Now it\'s your turn [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ruben

Re: Orchestration tip#1 (Horns, violas, and celli)

Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    Hi,
    Anyway, Jonathon Cox suggested that we share more pieces with that orchestration.
    I did this Horn ensemble (Actually slow solo horn chords, which kind of sound like woodwinds or something else [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), viola section, and solo cello:
    Ruben
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually the original thread was about unison combinations but that\'s cool.. I\'ll be posting other tidbits when I get the time.

-Take care

Ruben, love the verb, what were you using? Sounds very nice! The clarinet was placed very well in it too.

Originally posted by Gulliver:
    Actually the original thread was about unison combinations but that\'s cool.. I\'ll be posting other tidbits when I get the time.

-Take care
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Gulliver,

Sorry my lack of understanding. What do you mean by unison combinations, just a horn ensemble playing the same note, and no chords? And, the same for the viola section and celli?
    So, basically each section only plays one note at a time?

And, I\'m sorry to have lost the original tidbit [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Could you post the URLs to the examples that you gave if you don\'t mind? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I think this is a great idea to kind of build a library of pleasant combinations of instruments with real and Giga-ized examples. Looking forward to the next too!

Thanks a lot!

Ruben

Originally posted by MichaelAngelo450:
    Ruben, love the verb, what were you using? Sounds very nice! The clarinet was placed very well in it too.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">MichaelAngelo,

First of all, those clarinets are actually French Horns played at very low velocity. And it does really sound like clarinets, doesn\'t it? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Which doesn\'t make a good service to this thread...Sorry, I\'ll try to come up with another example.

Thanks a lot for the compliment on the verb. Right now I got some new audio software and plugins, and I\'m in experimentation phase, trying different combinations and just using my ear to find the ones that I like best. As a matter of fact, I spend way more time trying different verbs that actually recording the music.

This one uses basically Cakewalk\'s Soundstage and Waves RVerb, with two different files and different settings, and then mixed into one in Vegas to find the balance between clarity and lushness of the reverb. I\'m not at my giga computer, but I\'ll check in the morning if you like, and be more detailed about the process.
    Also, note that all the reverb is post (dry samples), except some natural resonance from the
    big cello box.

Basically, I use Soundstage to get the instruments
    placed in space, with mid-high Absortion and Trapping settings (King Idiot suggested this, thanks King! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ), the Trapping being higher than the Absortion. Then, use Waves to smooth out the tails, so I lower the Early Reflections parameter and increase Diffusion to the max. That\'s basically it, but if you would like, I can go into some more detail in the morning...

Thanks!

Ruben

Originally posted by Gulliver:
    MrArkadine,

The examples are here:
    http://dorch.servemp3.com/forch/orch.html

Take care.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gulliver,

Thanks a bunch! I\'ll check later again, because now I\'m getting server not found.

Ruben

MrArkadine,

The examples are here:
    http://dorch.servemp3.com/forch/orch.html

Take care.

Go Back to forum