• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Do quality BRASS libraries exist?

Share/Bookmark

Do quality BRASS libraries exist?

Hey everyone!

I have been doing a lot of searching for a quality brass library. . . granted no one library will ever give me everything, but does one exist that is actually worth buying? Please no promos from people who want me to buy their library. . . I only want the best. Thanks!

Jarrod Radnich

Re: Do quality BRASS libraries exist?

You may as well ask \"where is the holy grail?\".
    Seriously, I don\'t think there is one. To my ears, no single brass library covers all the bases in all musical contexts.

I still use Miroslav Brass, and in many cases, there is nothing better...as old as it is. But it does require a lot of programming to make it work with some types of music.

Others have posted some excellent results from Roland Brass and AO, but I have no direct experience with them, so don\'t take my word for it on those two.

Brass libraries are still the holy grail of sampler library development, in my view. It will be until somebody comes up with a similar, all encompassing, and useful library for Brass as Garritan has done with strings.

Maybe this new Vienna library will be the one.

It depends on the type of Brass you\'re talking about

tho no brass library really covers ALL of the essentials in any style...but...there are some quality libs out there.

Orchestral?

Solo?

There are people on this board that despise Dan Dean solo brass. I think most of them are people who are new to Giga, or people that dont have the library, and are only listening to the demos that dont do the library justice. I personally find this to be a really good library. It definitely could use some reprogramming (which will happen at some point), but its got great tone.

For section? Nothing NEW yet. There are some incredible libraries coming out VERY soon.

First hand I\'ve heard SAM Horns. Awesome sound. Will also be an awesome price. I dont know many people who will not buy this library.

Dan Dean Brass Ensembles. I\'m not really allowed to say much, but they are fantastic. Great tone. Not to mention I\'ve done some really cool programming techniques with it.

I\'ve had some hands on with the Vienna Symphonic Library stuff (official name is set I believe, but I dont want to drop it here until the website drops). There are some incredible performances to be coaxed out of this library. There\'s a real focus on realism with the production of this lib. It is in a realm of its own, I believe.

there are others supposedly in the pipe.

Kirk Hunter

rumours of Siedleczeck doing a new lib (which I think it BS)

Possible others.

I think by the end of the year and early next year, Orchestral Brass will be totally saturated, even more than strings are at the moment.

Pop Brass? No one is doing it right, right now. There is a library with Sax focus which could be a winner from Big Fish. There aren\'t any great FULL pop brass libraries out there yet tho.
    Some have been throwing the idea around for a while. Dan Dean\'s mentioned considering it. Sonic Implants has had something on their site about one in the works. Not sure if thats going to be giga native tho.

QLB can get pretty far, but needs a bit of reprogramming.

VR Sounds seem to have great tones (I have the tenor, the tone is awesome), but I think it\'s missing alot in the realm of articulations and dynamics

Phantom Horns, some awesome licks and pretty cool overall tone, but lack of dynamics is a prob. Still with some creative reprogramming and a little know how (read tweaking performances outside of a sequencer), it can get pretty farther than it is out of the box I\'m sure.

Brass Super Section. The more I think of this library the more I start to think \"ICK!\" or \"UGH\". The Bass Trombone is sizzle full tho. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and to be completely honest I dont think I\'ve pushed this library into the limits.

BTW for the regulars...how many times have I answered this question on here?

Thanks King Idiot, I know you probably get the \"Brass\" question a lot, and the only reason why I asked it on this forum is because the archived searches for \"BRASS\" (on this forum)proved useless in answering my question. Anyway, thanks for answering it! It seems as though I will go with the DDSB to at least have something more than tone generator junk. . . probably will end up reinvesting within a year when some of the other libraries finally come out. I talked with Gary Garritan and he has plans for his own library. He said it would be a while though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] God, I love this stuff!!!!

If you are looking for ensembles. I really suggest you wait for DD\'s brass ensembles.

It will be released very soon. I dont want to give too many details on where its at, but I guess if you\'re considering buying today. Its clsoe enough to consider waiting. Unless ofcourse you have a boatload of cash and will buy both [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I remember hearing the DDSB demos and not being impressed, but the promise of 8 velocities per note couldn\'t keep me away. I knew there had to be more to it, and there was. Check out the following link for an alternative demo.

http://www.geocities.com/timzydee/fanfare.mp3

If it shuts down due to traffic just try back in a bout an hour.

We\'ve had a brief discussion about the Bigga Orchestral Brass in another thread. You can find it here.

I think that depending upon your purpose, your budget, and your willingness to tweak - it\'s definitely well worth the money.

I second the vote for DDSB, there really is nothing else that goes that powerful for solo. The reason a lot of people don\'t like DDSB is because its mic\'ed closely with little ambience. I think with conventional reverb you won\'t get it where you want it in the hall. I advise getting DDSB and DDBE, that way you\'ll be able to do both ensemble and solo. Maarten\'s horns of course are a must. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

With all that you\'ll have some pretty nice brass.

Originally posted by Hasen:
    I second the vote for DDSB, there really is nothing else that goes that powerful for solo. The reason a lot of people don\'t like DDSB is because its mic\'ed closely with little ambience. I think with conventional reverb you won\'t get it where you want it in the hall. I advise getting DDSB and DDBE, that way you\'ll be able to do both ensemble and solo. Maarten\'s horns of course are a must. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

With all that you\'ll have some pretty nice brass.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Anyone know what the price of SAM horns will be?

¤t\'ll be cheap enough for people to not have any excuse for not buying it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas

Go Back to forum