• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Overused sounds

Share/Bookmark

Overused sounds

I know that one of the problems with a lot of popular hardware synth workstations like the Triton/etc. is that the sounds get used so much by other aspiring songwriters/producers/etc. that it\'s hard to not sound like everybody else.

I was wondering - does the same thing happen to us users of VST instruments and sample libraries (e.g. SampleTank, Atmosphere, Absynth)?

I\'ve been under the assumption that we (the VST/software sampler community) are a minuscule minority compared to the number of people who rely on hardware synths, and that, therefore, we don\'t have to worry about \"sounding like everybody else\". But is this really true? Or are there indeed some overused VST/sample libraries that I should be careful of?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Overused sounds

Just don\'t use them in ways that make you susceptible to that phenomenon, and you\'ll be fine. Almost anything that someone could say \"avoid,\" another really creative user could get years of music out of it that no one would remotely recognize.

Your orchestration skills are going to be the determining factor in note-libraries. In synths, your sound design skills will be the determiner. Only the \"preset-itis\" crowd will wear out the tools. A good synthesist will get sounds out of a Juno-106 that will amaze you.

Richard\'s comments are spot-on.

As case in point: I was watching something on the History channel, and low and behold, someone was using patch #1 of a few of the Virtual Guitarist presets throughout the entire thing. No discernable processing, no amp simulator or anything... just a really blatent rendition of play middle C and let the software do the rest. The *sad* thing is that the guitar parts were incredibly innappropriate for the part. I laughed out loud, and my wife looked at me and said \"what\'s so funny about the history of the howitzer?\" which of course sent me into the floor.

I took her to the studio and loaded up VG and played the patch for her, and she immediately picked up on what I meant. I showed her some of the variability, and when we went back to the show she became immediately annoyed at the fact that the com*poser* made no attempt whatoever to vary the part.

So, there ya have it... one to add to the list.

Part of the point of what we are doing with Virtual Instruments is to bring the tools for customization to the surface of the instrument...so that people don\'t rely on the presets.

The easier it is for the users to customize the sounds, the more likely they will take advantage of this and sound won\'t become so \"worn out\" like has often happened with stock usage of sample libraries.

That\'s the beauty of all of this new technology....the tools to craft your own versions are faster and more accesible than every before.

Straight preset usage should be (and is) getting less and less....which is a good thing all around.

spectrum

Oil Can Bow
    Spoke [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And some BASTAR* took a bunch of Scoring tools loops and simply placed them next to each other for a phone commerical. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Ed

hehee, I\'m only pokin and proddin at ya Eric-

yah but it\'d be nice that in the mean time you guys didn\'t close off access to people who LIKE to tweak. Since we\'re already doing it the hard way..... [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So anyway, GET RMX OUT!!!

Originally posted by Ed:
    Oil Can Bow

And some BASTAR* took a bunch of Scoring tools loops and simply placed them next to each other for a phone commerical. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Today\'s software makes it almost too easy for practically anyone to create \"music\" - and to even fool the general public and make money off it.

Originally posted by CadeBryant:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Ed:
    Oil Can Bow

Ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Today\'s software makes it almost too easy for practically anyone to create \"music\" - and to even fool the general public and make money off it. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey, beats a day job.... (for me anyway) [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by kid-surf:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Today\'s software makes it almost too easy for practically anyone to create \"music\" - and to even fool the general public and make money off it. [/qb][/QUOTE]Hey, beats a day job.... (for me anyway) [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Yea, but the guy in question didnt even try to do any composing of any description, everytime the scene changed he just switched to a different scoring tools patch. he must have used 6 or 7 different ones Im sure. Im hoping its just some director that decided he would rather \"make\" the music himself rather than pay an actual composer.

Ed

I tell you guys that while I would love to fiddle with sounds to make them unique, sometimes I just don\'t have time to. In Feb I got a call to do three 30 second tv spots (houston/austin markets), and I had 1 day to finish two of them. So I used some orchestral libs and other stuff and didn\'t have time to tinker with anything.

Just to point out that sometimes there is another side to this.

Eric

Go Back to forum