• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vota Utility v.2 Wish List

Share/Bookmark

Vota Utility v.2 Wish List

I will begin to work in the next version of Vota Utility [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Now is the perfect time for you to tell me what features would you like to see in this new version.

I will try to put this new features:

- English to Votox convertor
    - 2 text fields (english and votox) per voice
    - text color (to make a better user interface)
    - custom vowels (building new vowels merging the existing ones)
    - vowels crossfading (to soft to transition between vowels close to each others)
    - Timers/velocity Sliders (better user interface than text syntax)
    - timers sliders controlled by MIDI (to use midi controllers to change timers)
    - Graphical View of letter (one bar for each letter)

What do you think? What should i add?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Vota Utility v.2 Wish List

Hi Nuno,

First, your work and generosity in developing this utility are remarkable.

Second, I think you\'ve proposed a very thorough and ambitious list of new features. My vote would be to develop what you\'ve already listed...it\'s a BIG list!

I particularly like the \"english to votox\" and crossfade, timer-slider features. Those would be my votes for most significant feature upgrades if you find yourself needing to prioritize features. To me, those would be the significant time savers.

Good luck. I have massive respect for people who can actually write and produce computer applications. As much as I have tried to understand that art, it has eluded me, so I\'m sticking to what I know and letting the experts fly!!

Best regards,
    Bruce

Hello Nuno,

excellent ideas with your project of improving VOTA utility. Especially the custom vowels and wovel crossfading could be of high interest.

Since I will use VOTA mainly in classical choral work I\'m loking for the best control of lenghty
    lyrics with the associated notes.

We allready discussed the possibility of integrating your utility into a notation program. Unfortunately there are many obstacles on this route.

Do you think there is a possibility to add a notation window for each voice. I understand that VOTA is not a sequencer/notation software. But how if the notes from the seqencer would \"flow\" through the UTILITY visualized in a window and one could pair them with the words? They would practically melted together with some tags or whatever and then sent to GSt.

Thanks for your work.
    maestro

Nuno,

First let me express my gratitude in your efforts making this Library SO useful. All your ideas sound terrific.

One question I have is - have you heard from anyone using your utility with XP/1.7/1.0 gig ram that has had some \'erratic\' behaviour from using it. I can always correct the problem (locking up the computer, held notes, etc.) if I restart. Just wanted to see if it is indicative to my system or what....

Again, thanks for your creative work for all of us.

I am with Bruce completely. Already it is beyond valuable and a great gift, for which I cannot thank you enough.

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    One question I have is - have you heard from anyone using your utility with XP/1.7/1.0 gig ram that has had some \'erratic\' behaviour from using it. I can always correct the problem (locking up the computer, held notes, etc.) if I restart. Just wanted to see if it is indicative to my system or what...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m running WinXP/1.8/1 gig ram HP Vectra and have noticed some issues with the utility. The voice channels work, but the utility doesn\'t pass through unused midi channels 13-16 on my system. Also, sometimes but not always, channels 2,3,and 4 are not passed through to adjust volume/pan for consonants. It\'s inconsistent. (btw, using Midisport 4x4 usb midi.) Reboots sometimes helps.

Anyway, awesome utility. I\'m in no way complaining, only hoping to help development.

Maestro:
    Can you tell me better what do you need? I will not make the utility any king of sequencer/music notation, but i can make some thing to resolve you problem in some area...

Regarding the little bugs in the actual version (that exist), i ask you for your pacience. Since i\'m going to do a new (and better) version, i think it\'s better to focus in the new version.

Nuno,

I couldn\'t agree with you more. The bugs don\'t disable production. The minor incovenience of occassionally rebooting pales in comparison with the time you have saved me in programming votox. Thanks, friend.

Go Back to forum