• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: a poll...

Share/Bookmark

a poll...

hello friends,
    as we see that almost all of the software today are coming with the challenge response cp and you are on the mercy of company to decide if you are going to have any more authorizations or not...i just want to have a little poll over here to know that in case if the company decides that software you purchased/licensed from it cant be authorized for you already had too many authorizations, would you go ahead and download a crack and use it or go ahead and buy it again? please, let not this be about piracy war and just state if you will use pirated or buy again...
    thanks

Re: a poll...

Hi,

Has this happened? What I mean is has it happened where a company said \"No - you\'ve used up all of your authorizations we will not authorize another copy\"?. I find it hard to believe that a company would do this. I could see that they may request that you call them or something if you used up all of your authorizations but I can\'t see them totally denying you unless you were trying to authorize it 20 separate times or something silly like that.

Anyway, I think that I would try to get the matter resolved with the company. I honestly do not think that a company would risk losing a customer by being very hard-nosed about this scenario.

I\'m probably not the best person to poll since I have not had any problems with any of the authorization processes that I\'ve been subjected to. All of my NI software (including EWQLSO Silver and StormDrum) have authorized without incident and my Spectrasonics plugs have installed fine also.

I guess that I\'d have to vote no. If I ran into an issue, I\'d try to deal with the company directly. Most companies that I\'ve ever had any problem with have always tried to help me.

FV

p.s. - sorry for the long-winded vote. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just ran into a situation like this. I bought a plug-in that I really, really like. I happen to run two machines in my studio that are VST System Linked together. I wanted to run that plug on my secondary machine as well, so I re-read the license agreement (yup, I actually read it) to find that I was allowed to install on exactly one computer. I sent out an email asking for permission/license to install on a second machine, with a request info on how much the second authorization would cost. A day later I got a nice email that said as long as it was a single-user rig, that my current license would cover the second install.

My personal feeling is that anyone claiming they would use a cracked piece of software in any circumstance is taking a foolish, undue systems and criminal risk. Most, if not all vendors tend to be accomodating to friendly, paying customers.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    Anyone that claims they would use a crack is taking a foolish, undue systems and criminal risk. Most, if not all vendors tend to be accomodating to friendly, paying customers.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">what are you talking about??? how can it be criminal to use something that you\'ve already paid for!!!

Originally posted by robin123:
    what are you talking about??? how can it be criminal to use something that you\'ve already paid for!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sigh, here we go again. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You license software. When you install it, you agree to terms. Those terms say what you can and cannot do with the software. Most software license agreement include the number of installs and what conditions the software can be used. Many also include clauses that require that you don\'t alter, distribute or use altered versions of the application, in whole or in part. Using a cracked version usually contraverts at least one of those tenets, even if you own and use a legitimate seat for the application.

If you own an office with four computers in it, and you get a new one that has Windows pre-installed on it - and then you get cracked versions to download and put on all your other machines - are you right or are you wrong? Not only is it wrong, but I think it represents an undue business risk. If you\'re a hacker/cracker/slacker/whatever you may not feel like it applies to you. But I intend to make music my profession, and will not tolerate undue legal or operational risk.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by robin123:
    what are you talking about??? how can it be criminal to use something that you\'ve already paid for!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sigh, here we go again. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You license software. When you install it, you agree to terms. Those terms say what you can and cannot do with the software. Most software license agreement include the number of installs and what conditions the software can be used. Many also include clauses that require that you don\'t alter, distribute or use altered versions of the application, in whole or in part. Using a cracked version usually contraverts at least one of those tenets, even if you own and use a legitimate seat for the application.

If you own an office with four computers in it, and you get a new one that has Windows pre-installed on it - and then you get cracked versions to download and put on all your other machines - are you right or are you wrong? Not only is it wrong, but I think it represents an undue business risk. If you\'re a hacker/cracker/slacker/whatever you may not feel like it applies to you. But I intend to make music my profession, and will not tolerate undue legal or operational risk.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">i\'m not talking about that pre installed windows scenerio...here you are purchasing the software but due to whatever circumstances you\'ve had too many installations and then the company says no...or does these companies have any rule as per year you can have these many authorizations because of the development in technology as you might be upgrading frequently...and i\'m also not talking about installing it on 10 computers, or 10 people using it...it\'s a case where everything is according to license agreement but company will say one day that you\'ve had too many authorizations.....would it happen someday or they will keep on giving you authorizations if you upgrade your computers once every year or year and half...

I have heard of people using crakced copies of Cubase (even though they own it) cause they hate the dongles so much. Same for Waves.

It\'s ironic as last time I visited the Waves site most of the FAQ\'s/Support issues seemed to deal with how to get the authorization working properly.

I have to say in all honesty if I legally own a piece of software and had some reason - no usb ports, troublesome protection scheme, whatever; I would have no ethical problem using a crack. It\'s not something I have personally done, but if I was having a hard enough time and had a deadline looming, I would definetely consider it.

I payed for a legal license, the developers get their money, my conscience is clear.

I\'d call the company and complain until I got another authorization.

I\'ve already had enough trouble with Windows XP and its ridiculous re-activation scenarios if you change your hardware. I have 4 PCs in my studio and have changed the hardware or re-installed the OS on each of them several times. I have had to call Microsoft at least 5 times and repeat a 40-digit number and have one read back to me while I type it in. At least they were open in the middle of the night when I needed it.

Copy protection pisses me off. My new free dongle for Culture has been sitting here for almost 2 weeks, and I probably won\'t install the new version. I use the original on 2 machines (only one at a time, and the license agreement says it\'s OK), and with the new version I can\'t do that unless I move the dongle back and forth. Guess I won\'t be upgrading.

I would call the company and get it squared away. If you paid and can prove it, then they definitely will fix the situation for you. Why would they want to lose a customer and all the business that they could have referred? ... I hope everything works out!

Well today, I wasn\'t able to authorize two plugins that I needed to bring up an older project. (The authorization website was down). I cut my losses, reassigned the MIDI tracks to the Triton and moved on. I don\'t have an appetite for cracks at all.

Go Back to forum