• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyswitch Questions

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitch Questions

I have three keyswitch programming questions.

First: Is it possible to have multiple keyswitches that are not next to each other. IE, a keyswitch on F, and C, but not the notes in between?

Second: Can a keyswitch be INSIDE the range of the instrument?

Third: Related to the second, if it\'s possible to have a keyswitch on one of the notes of the instrument, what is the order of events? Does the original layer note-on event play first, then switch the active layer, or does it switch to that new keyswitch layer before the note on event? IE, will the keyswitch take effect and play that keyswitch\'s sound, or does it play the previous keyswitche\'s sound, then make the change on the next note?

HUGE thanks to anyone who can help me out here. I have completed the preliminary test recordings for my legato brass and woodwinds and it looks like it\'s going to work VERY well. If the answers to these questions is what I hope it will be, it would make this library a piece of cake to use. If not, I\'ll have to use my other approach, which is still fairly convenient and easy, but would require both hands.

Re: Keyswitch Questions

I understand your point Aenigma. I\'m not familiar with changing key switch parameters but I\'m sure they can be changed with the editor.

However I resolved the problem differently. I use a Roland PK 5 Foot Controller. The unit is very flexible and you can define any of the octave for the pedal keyboard. Most key switches are 3 octaves lower than the middle c. I just program the PK 5 for this octave and use my feet to activate key switches. This keeps my hands free for playing.

On all libraries I own the key switch has to happen before the sounding midi note. Activating another keys witch during a sustained note event does not cause a change until this note is OFF and the next is ON or if you play polyphonic until the any new note starts.

Right, my point is what if they occur at the same time... what order does it do them in.

I did my own tests and if I had it set up right, it looks like you can set up a keyswitch on a note that also as wavs, but it no longer functions as a keyswitch. But perhaps I have something set up strange. Anyway, any other thoughts are appreciated.

First: Is it possible to have multiple keyswitches that are not next to each other. IE, a keyswitch on F, and C, but not the notes in between?

No. The final combined instrument requires a range rather than a set of specific keys which might nnot be adjacent.

Second: Can a keyswitch be INSIDE the range of the instrument?

Yes, but it won\'t function. If a wav and a keyswitch are on the same key, the keyswitch is ignored.

Third: Related to the second, if it\'s possible to have a keyswitch on one of the notes of the instrument, what is the order of events?

Answered, I suppose. As an aside, I figure you\'re aware that notes which sustain across a keyswitch will continue to play their previous patch. Only note ons played after a keyswitch use the new programme.

Sorry the answers couldn\'t be more positive. Maybe V3?

Good luck [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Chadwick!

Hopefully those things will change in v3, and hopefully there will be more dimensions... as I\'m using mono wavs and approaching the limit.

I can still do this, but the keyswitches will just have to be an octave below, which isn\'t such a big deal. In fact, it would work fairly well, as I could just play in my solo line. Copy the midi data to another track, transpose it down an octave or two to the keyswitches, and move it a few ticks backwards... instant slurred melody. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Although, the editor has me beat tonight and my brain is just shutting down. I\'m making stupid mistakes all over. Guess it\'s time to pack up for the night. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again.

Go Back to forum