• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: ANSWER about the "Passion" score unique instrument

Share/Bookmark

ANSWER about the "Passion" score unique instrument

Really loved John Debney\'s score to this film....lot of great vocal performances and moody sound design. There was a particular sound in the score that I couldn\'t figure out though:

In the earlier parts of the film with the drone-type moments, there\'s an amazing melodic instrument with a really interesting low midrange tone, that sounds sort of like a cross between a cello and a duduk. I don\'t think the duduk can play that low of a register, but it didn\'t really sound exactly like a stringed instrument either.

Anyone know what instrument that was, or how it was created? My guess is that it was a pitch-shifted/retuned deduk performance....but maybe someone here knows what it is.

thanks!

spectrum

Re: ANSWER about the "Passion" score unique instrument

hi spectrum,

i think that it might be an erhu - a chinese string instrument. growing up in asia, I used to hear a lot of the traditional chinese instruments used in traditional plays, etc. just my 2 cents worth.

ej

I think that instrument sounds pretty cool too. Are you thinking about sampling one for Atmosphere 2.0? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I like the Passion score as well but it is very derivitive of Peter Gabriel\'s Passion (OST Last Temptation of Christ). In fact it is obvious they used Passion as the temp. Some of the cues are very very close in sound. They even use the same \"Traditional\" Song of Complaint featuring the duduk.

I also noticed that the \"World Winds\" library was used in \"The Passion\" score... Its listed in the CD jacket along with the others that contributed to the score. Thought that was pretty cool.

I\'m not sure if it was used just for the mockups or actually used in the final score... would be pretty cool if the latter [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Will

I dont think they used the sample cd World Winds. I took it that each respective player performed let\'s say Duduk and other world winds (being used in a general way). I might be wrong though. I doubt someone who could actually play winds would use a sample.

Lazul,

Hah! You\'re probably right... It says under \"Featured Performers\" - Pedro Eustache: Duduk and World Winds.

So I guess your right.. I was excited there for awhile.

Regardless, awesome score to an amazing film.

Will

The name of the guy who played the \"world winds\" name is Pedro Eustache.

He is a phenominal flute multi-instrumentalist, who\'s credits include playing with Yanni.

His website is here: http://www.pedroflute.com

About the low woodwind in The Passion, I have not seen it yet (I\'m going tommorrow), but it may have been a bass duduk. Duduks can range from G right down to Bass. You can check here for more info: http://www.duduk.com

Ben H

Originally posted by Lazul:
    I like the Passion score as well but it is very derivitive of Peter Gabriel\'s Passion (OST Last Temptation of Christ). In fact it is obvious they used Passion as the temp. Some of the cues are very very close in sound. They even use the same \"Traditional\" Song of Complaint featuring the duduk.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I saw a featurette on TV about it where the soundtrack from \"Last Temptation\" was used throughout - so I have a strong suspicion that it was the temp for the film as well. It\'s a great soundtrack that casts a long shadow. It would be a shame if Passion\'s score was so derivative, but not a necessarily a surprise.

At first blush, I found that rather ironic that it was used, since \"Last Temptation\" was summarily cast down by a broad spectrum of \"Christian\" groups as heresy. It struck me as funny that it would come back around this way.

spectrum:

There is another instrument that hasn\'t been talked about yet that was on the Peter Gabriel soundtrack. I will check which track so you can listen because its an amazing instrument. It might be what you\'re talking about but I haven\'t seen \"The Passion\" yet....

Anyway, the instrument I\'m talking about is called the \"Double Violin\". I know this because I tracked down the player for Peter Gabriel\'s Passion for work on the first episode of \"Miracles\". I ended up not hiring him (it was impossible!!), but there is no way you would really believe it was a violin of sorts. To me it sounded like a duduk crossed with a very smooth saxaphone.

Like I said, I\'ve not yet seen \"The Passion\", so it might be a different timbre, but I\'ll get back to you on the Gabriel track because it too is a fascinating instrument that \"no one\" knows about.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast