• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: STORMDRUM NOT OS9 Compatible

Share/Bookmark

STORMDRUM NOT OS9 Compatible

I\'m new to this forum but thought this may be helpful to anyone interested in buying SD fo OS9. I recently purchased SD from an established music store in LA. After carefully reading the system requirements - on the box-
    I was aware that the Intakt part of the program (the one for the loops) was not OS9 compatible, but the Kompakt part (the individual instruments) was. However when I tried to install the program, everything came to a grinding halt. As it turns out, after stumbling across a little blurb on the East West site, SD is NOT compatible in any way with OS9. The blurb stated that an OS9 update would be available at an unspecified future date. I find it very interesting that a company that goes to great lengths to ensure the proper and legal use of it\'s products does not hold itself to the same kind of standard by allowing one of thier products to be falsely represented to well-intended unsuspecting potential customers. I would hope that the parties responsible become responsible parties and do whatever is necessary to rectify this situation.

Re: STORMDRUM NOT OS9 Compatible

Originally posted by MWP:
    I was aware that the Intakt part of the program (the one for the loops) was not OS9 compatible, but the Kompakt part (the individual instruments) was. However when I tried to install the program, everything came to a grinding halt. As it turns out, after stumbling across a little blurb on the East West site, SD is NOT compatible in any way with OS9. The blurb stated that an OS9 update would be available at an unspecified future date.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The OS-9 compatible (Kompakt ) part of Stormdrum will be downloadable this month. The Intakt part will never be OS-9 compatible.

Apart from the upcoming 2 out of 10 ProSamples Platinum titles that use KOMPAKT (that will also offer a downloadable update for OS-9) no future East-West or Zero-G libraries will support OS-9 - it\'s time to upgrade to OS-X which is very stable now.

If you want to return it, that\'s fine.

Take care,

- Doug

Well I think his point was that it specifically said on the box that it was compatible with OS 9. It didn\'t say you should upgrade to OS X or that OS 9 compatibility will be in the not so near distant future.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Lazul:
    Well I think his point was that it specifically said on the box that it was compatible with OS 9. It didn\'t say you should upgrade to OS X or that OS 9 compatibility will be in the not so near distant future.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lazul,

It\'s not a perfect world - the box was printed months ago and I had to do a lot of work to get NI to agree to offer an OS-9 download at all (they are no longer supporting OS-9 along with Apple and countless other companies).

If he wants to return it, that\'s fine.

- Doug

Originally posted by dougrogers:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Lazul:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lazul,

It\'s not a perfect world - the box was printed months ago and I had to do a lot of work to get NI to agree to offer an OS-9 download at all (they are no longer supporting OS-9 along with Apple and countless other companies).

If he wants to return it, that\'s fine.

- Doug
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Right. I know that. I was just clarifying his point. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well I guess that if anyone does anything wrong all one has to do is merely say \"it\'s not a perfect world\" and that\'s that. I don\'t suppose if some one used an SD loop on a music library that the makers of SD would accept \"It\'s not a perfect world\" as an appropriate response. Also, I hope your not suggesting that because the boxes were printed before the product was finished that that releases the manufacturer from the respnosibility of truth in advertising. As for upgrading to OSX, I\'m a very busy composer and when my system gets somewhat stable, I\'m inclined to want to stay with that system however old it may be. And BTW, thank you for giving me permission to return an item that, although perported itself to work, was utterly useless.

I read your post and this is what I thought.

Your right MWP. The company should do what they said (like on the package or on there website) ,
    when they released the product. But its not East West`s fault .
    Because the compatibility part has to do with NI .
    East West did a great job by making a great Sample Library.
    And the software part is NI`s job. So I think you should contact NI .

I felt the same way about QLSO Gold first but it was a total
    misunderstanding . (About not supporting OS9)
    So for me , I don`t feel NI`s an irresponsible company anymore . [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, I thought somethings get really confusing ( with support and stuff. )when two companies get together and make a product .

Veron

Hi,

With all due respect to you Veron and also to Doug, it is nonsense to state that the OS9 responsibility lies with NI. Yes, they have the task of coding the interface but it is an East West product. Just because they have contracted someone to do the code doesn\'t shift responsibility for a product.

What Doug has done is more than fair by offering for MWP to return the package. Most software is non-returnable once it has been opened so Doug has done the honourable thing. For myself, a red flag would have gone up immediately seeing the OS9 for Kompakt and OSX for Intakt on the box. Having said that, there really is no reason to not trust the box either.

Anyway, probably nothing to get too worked up over. Doug\'s right - at some point in time, you gotta cut over and move up to OSX. It\'s been rocky during the transition but I fully believe that smoother times are ahead. NI is focusing on OSX and that will be a good thing in terms of stability.

Best regards,
    FV

Thank you for your reply, FV.

My frustration`s are gone with NI because it was a missunderstanding. But you`ve gave me a reply so
    I`ll answer it .

What I wanted to say is ,
    as long as the company said it`s OS9 compatible ,
    it should be . And I know its an East West product , but to make it compatible is there (NI`s) part . East West`s not a software developer or something . Yes, its East West`s product too , but the problem is the software part.
    If the problems were the \"Samples\" , then it might be
    East West`s , but its not .

I had a similar problem with them (NI) before.
    Which was THERE (NI`s) product. But I don`t to start going
    again so I`ll stop here about this one .

And I don`t want to start a flame war . So i`ll stop
    here about this too. Thanks for reading [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Veron

I was just curious if Bruce was out there laughing his head off at this posting stream.

A healthy demonstration of why separation of content from sample engine can be a good thing(i.e. as opposed to \"romplers\")

If your sample engine is tuned in your environment - you simply add the content which announce which platform it is expecting.

In this situation the customer is not getting a \"solution\" but a slight case of finger pointing as to who broke down in the value chain.

Scott

Go Back to forum