• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT:Desperate for Help

Share/Bookmark

OT:Desperate for Help

Sorry to post this here...

I just replaced a hardrive in my system (with the exact same model and manufacturer) and now my cpu is at 21% with nothing loaded! It used to be around 5%. I\'m in desperate need of help...I have a project due on Friday and GS is useless this way! It overloads and hangs with only one instrument loaded and playing around 25 notes. All the settings are the same as they were before, but I\'ll take all the optimization tips you\'ve got. Hopefully I just overlooked something!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT:Desperate for Help

Originally posted by Lancelink:
    Sorry to post this here...

I just replaced a hardrive in my system (with the exact same model and manufacturer) and now my cpu is at 21% with nothing loaded! It used to be around 5%. I\'m in desperate need of help...I have a project due on Friday and GS is useless this way! It overloads and hangs with only one instrument loaded and playing around 25 notes. All the settings are the same as they were before, but I\'ll take all the optimization tips you\'ve got. Hopefully I just overlooked something!

Anyone have any suggestions?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sounds to me like you do not have the drive running in DMA mode. Look in the Device Manager, Hard Drives, then find the entry for your drive, right-click it, choose properties, and look on the various tabs. One will have a checkbox labeled DMA. Check it. You\'ll get an error message. Ignore it. Reboot.

After that you should be OK.

did you try to connect the old hd again?
    cause if works great there\'s a great chance of hardware problems.
    i\'m saying this believing that all tweaks was done like you said.

The Drive is in DMA mode already. The old drive had a meltdown and is in the trash.

Thanks for the quick replies...but still need help!

How old is your computer or motherboard? If its relatively old and you\'ve inserted a new and big hd it might be the case that your IDE BUS simply cannot handle a really big hd.. If you\'re running IDE and not SCSI that is...

Ive had simmilar problems with my old comp.. I returned the hd and got a smaller one.. Worked fine..

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Lance,

Please go to ProRec.com, proceed to the download section, and download a program called Dskbench.

Read the instructions on how to use it and print a report, run the application on the drive, and post the report here. We\'ll try to get to the bottom of it.

Also, post your full system configuration, mobo, brand of drive, all that. Something will turn up.

Best regards,
    Bruce

ps...also, profile the other drives on your system, just to get a comparison. One other thought--modern drives don\'t like old ATA-33 cables, so if you happen to have an ATA-33 cable on that channel, try replacing it with an ATA-66. I\'m just grasping at straws here, more information will definitely help.

Thanks for all the Help! I really appreciate it!!! I found my problem...the new drive was ATA 133 and my motherboard only supported ATA 100! I switched it for an ATA 100 drive and all is well (crossing my fingers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

The best news is I was able to finish the project last night and just delivered it to my client!!!

Thanks Again all!

Go Back to forum