• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Difference between LOP and Ultimate

Share/Bookmark

Difference between LOP and Ultimate

I need to get a very good orchestral percussion library.
    I understand that there are pretty much only 2 that would qualify for \" the ones anyone serious about orchestral scores should have \"
    London Orch Perc and The Ultimate Orch Perc.

Now I find out that they are indeed the same samples, same instruments etc... just a different name AND a hundred bucks apart !

How come ? Are they actually identical or are there some differences ( even minor ones )
    Does anyone know for a fact the straight dope on this ?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Difference between LOP and Ultimate

They are not the same samples, they are jsut made by the same people, and have some of the same instruemnts sampled

LOP has more variety in terms of instruments I believe, as well as more \"room\" sound, and UOP has more velocities and samples per isntruments....in some cases...not all.

*MOST* people consider LOP better than UOP, others feel they are both worth having, some hate LOP and UOP all together.

I dont have UOP, but do have LOP. Its quite good, but I wish there were more mic variations.

I have both but use LOP the most as it has fixed some of the flaws in UOP. The snares have up to 16 velocity levels compared to 4 in UOP. I sometimes prefer the timps in UOP asthe ones in LOP sound deader to me.

hmm maybe it wasn\'t velocities then, chromatic samples?

I could have sworn someone said something like that.

Anyways.. There you go! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This is a perfect example of how we non-developer forum users miss out when a developer leaves (or is banned). How easy would it be to have a definitive answer straight from the horses mouth if Donnie was still here.

Donnie and Sean did UOP first. Some time later they did LOP. So at least one significant point should be that LOP was designed, recorded and programmed with the hindsight of the UOP experience.

Quote from Donnie on this comparison:
    \"LOP has more of everything in it....more instruments, more velocities, more everything. They are in NO way the same samples whatsoever. They were all recorded in a different hall also.\"

Hope this helps.

ha ha !

So it looks like some people are misinformed around here ! I had all the reasons to believe that they were indeed the same samples but that the developers had changed the name just to avoid litigation.

So now it does look like that LOP is the way to go huh ?
    I am going to give this a few more thoughts, and meanwhile I really appreciate your input guys !

Thanks again.

PatS

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    This is a perfect example of how we non-developer forum users miss out when a developer leaves (or is banned). How easy would it be to have a definitive answer straight from the horses mouth if Donnie was still here.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Perhaps Sean could respond, assuming he isn\'t staying away in solidarity with Donnie.

Pat

Ok Let me get this straight, the Timp in UOP isn\'t chromaticly sampled as well? Some of the ones in LOP are stretched over multiple notes.

I thought someone said the UOP one was chromatically sampled.

Everything is chromatically sampled in UOP including the timps. I wish the timps had been chromatic in LOP as I\'m not crazy about a couple of the samples - they sound a little dead to me. Then they are stretched over a few notes.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    Everything is chromatically sampled in UOP including the timps. I wish the timps had been chromatic in LOP as I\'m not crazy about a couple of the samples - they sound a little dead to me. Then they are stretched over a few notes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haydn,

Aside from the timps, do you have any other criticism for LOP ?

Go Back to forum