Comments and any helpful suggestions wanted:

http://www./mymusic/openingcredits.mp3

What I used:

Mac G5 Dual 2Ghz | Logic 6.3.2
    EXS24MkII | VSL First Edition Cube & Performance Tool
    Latest VSL DVD update | Altiverb

EWQLSO? Working on it!

Re: VSL demo - new

I like the fast string line in the opening and closing of this very eclectic piece. I\'d like the string line to have a little more depth. Perhaps have more velocity switching within the strings themselves or a solo violin layered in with the string line.

Very nice piece!

Marko

Sharmy: the doubling effect with flute was a great idea - thanks for lending your ears and suggestion. Here\'s one rendition of what it sounds like with the doubling flute addition:

http://www./mymusic/Revere.mp3

Hopefully you\'ll like these \'runs\' better [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

mkm: Thanks for listening. The piccolo flute at 0:14 and 0:23 is a new instrument which is part of the VSL DVD update. I\'ll have to consider another alternative so I\'ll keep working on it.

The high runs did sound a bit smoother in the second mix. I wonder what those might sound like with a xylophone as well? It\'s kind of a scene-stealer, I know, but nothing articulates fast high register stuff like a xylo, and it might not be too overbearing against the fat brass staccatos there.

The piccolo sounds interesting in that low register. I\'ve heard at least one demo that effectively used the Westgate penny whistle in a similar fife-like role.

Very nice piece. Lots of well-placed brass crescendos.

Marko: thanks for listening and for your kind words. I do have a couple of solo violin articulation but they seem a little heavy on vibrato. More velocity switching might work - I\'ll try that.

seanmccoy: thanks for the comments and suggestions - I did try xylophone when I started working on this piece but something in the way it fleshed out in the mix seem to detract rather than add - strange. I\'m checking all the articulations so I\'ll keep searching for a better one I might be able to use.

This piece was more of a personal experiment to see other facets of what VSL had to offer that I had not explored before. Man all of you have some really great ears! Thanks to all for the suggestions - its really helpful.

Great piece.
    Well written.

Yet it seems that VSL sounds Very Synthesized & Liveless.
    I can\'t explain it but something seems off here. The runs are hyperclean and all the pitches are so on. Stringplayers would never sound like this, where is some randomness? you got all these GBs of samples, where\'s the live? The attacks are sooo even which causes the old \"machinegun\" thing. I hear so much about how many articulations there are but every note seems to sound the same....
    The brass, what the f happened with that??
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    what is going on, what am I missing???
    [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Hey Franz, don\'t blame VSL - blame the programmer! I admit I\'m really new at this so give me a little time to work through the kinks, ok? I see you\'ve been around NS for some time now so I sincerely appreciate the observations. Thanks!

Getting rid of the machine gun effect in VSL libraries requires clever use of the Repetition Mode in the Performance Tool. Many instruments have repetitions played at multiple speeds/dynamics. You can use the tool to choose what specific notes in the repetition you want to play, and in the exact order you choose.

Some instruments, such as the Overdrive Performance Guitar have up to nine repetitions of each note, so you have a pretty good selection of notes to choose from.

The alternation performance tool thing is something I most definitely want to look into. Thanks for the tip unconscious!

Originally posted by franz:
    Yet it seems that VSL sounds Very Synthesized & Liveless.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"><snip>

Dude, check your own demos...

Ed

Go Back to forum