• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: [OT]-SRX Board "dynamic drumkits"

Share/Bookmark

[OT]-SRX Board "dynamic drumkits"

Heya!

Just got one of these boards for my XV-5080 and it is excellent!
    It was done by Eric Persing from Spectrasonics and it is basically a board full with the kits used on Backbeat. Most of them have 4 stage velocity switching and stereo samples, as well as left and right hand samples for the snares and a few of the toms.
    I realise there are Gigakits out there with far more velocity switching than that but what a lot of them seem to miss is the produced characteristic sound that these have.
    A lot of the kits have a nice compressed roomtone to them, and sound quite ambient because of that, but still retain a lot of punch. There is quite a bit of variation here, ranging from tight funk drums to dry pop kits and earshattering rock kits. I was suprised by the powerful low end of the latter ones.
    Anyway, if you own an XV synth you owe it to yourself to check it out; pricey, but a purchase I don\'t regret at all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Joris

Re: [OT]-SRX Board "dynamic drumkits"

I have a XV3080, and it\'s been my far my best overall purchase for the home studio. So many sounds, so much expandability. I have the SRX-Studio card and it has some cool sounds as well. I was looking into the Dynamic Drum card but didn\'t see any feedback about kits for rock music, glad to hear it has some good rock kits. Thanks for the info. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Munsie:
    I have a XV3080, and it\'s been my far my best overall purchase for the home studio. So many sounds, so much expandability. I have the SRX-Studio card and it has some cool sounds as well. I was looking into the Dynamic Drum card but didn\'t see any feedback about kits for rock music, glad to hear it has some good rock kits. Thanks for the info. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Munsie!
    I ordered the SRX drum card but I´m so interested in the Studio and Dance Cards too. Munsie, could you tell me what´s inside (I mean the waves or instruments) in the Studio card?, What you like and what not?
    And to other owners of this cards I really appreciate your comments too!
    Thanks
    Jose Pereira

I too own a 5080 (with the SRX Strings card and SRX Studio card), along with my dedicated Giga rig. If I were you, I would skip the SRX Drum card and buy the Spectrasonics CD-ROM. You get more kits/sounds, all the midi files and extremely well-done separation among each element (for altering the feel via quantize) and the flexible. Just load the AKAI version into Giga. Works beautifully!

Originally posted by aplanchard:
    I too own a 5080 (with the SRX Strings card and SRX Studio card), along with my dedicated Giga rig. If I were you, I would skip the SRX Drum card and buy the Spectrasonics CD-ROM. You get more kits/sounds, all the midi files and extremely well-done separation among each element (for altering the feel via quantize) and the flexible. Just load the AKAI version into Giga. Works beautifully!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Aplanchard
    Are you refering to me? Yes, I have the Spectrasonics \"Burning Grooves\" CDrom which have excellents kits and grooves. But when I listened to the SRX drums demos they sound quite diferent, but interesting. Which Spectrasonics CD do you refer to?
    By the way, you have the Studio Card too, what do you think about this? Which instruments do you like, which ones don´t?
    Thanks for your help!
    Regards
    Jose Pereira

Hey aplanchard,

I have backbeat, but it doesn\'t contain any kits like burning grooves does, although all the beats are in GC format.
    Yes, the snares and such are seperated, but it is not the same as having good programmed kits at your fingertips.
    Maybe you are referring to the SRV Bass&Drums board, which contains a selection from the Burning Grooves Kits and Basses from Bass Legends?
    Believe me, these kits are in quite a different realm....
    One other thing that strikes me about Roland stuff in general is how much better the envelopes, velocity switching and filters work in comparison to GS (I noticed something similar with my EMU sampler).
    GS might be able to load a huge amount of samples, but you\'re not going to beat 15 years of Roland R&D on playabillity in a jiffy [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cheers,

Joris

I just meant that all of the drum sounds are isolated and available for each loop. I do agree, however, that it is \"not the same as having good programmed kits at your fingertips\" -- very fast and mostly very good. IMO, the Spectrasonics CD-ROMS do, however, provide more bang for the buck. There are tradeoffs with each product. Preference will depend on your ultimate need.

Regarding my SRX Studio card, there are some very good sounds -- guitars, alto flute, the piano -- but I do not believe the variety/quality vs. price is a good tradeoff. None of the acoustic instruments sound as good as Giga samples and I do not find the synth and other sounds provided to add enough over the stock 5080 sounds to justify the price. As with most Roland products, however, the quality is very good. Again, I think it depends on how you like to work and your ultimate needs. I use them only for roughing out ideas when composing.

I offer the above as one man\'s opinion. Please seek out other opinions on these cards though, because my orientation is more as an acoustic musician who use samplers to approximate acoustic instruments when necessary and synths for all the great synth sounds they offer. Your needs and orientation may differ.

Hey Jose,

Forgot to mention that if you still wish, I will be more specific about my preferences for the individual sounds on the Studio card when I am back at my music computer. Let me know.

Hi Aplanchard, I\'m interested to know how the guitars (acoustic and electric) on the Studio SRX expansion board compare with the stock ones on the 5080? Are there a lot of new sounds/samples? Or are they mostly reprogrammed versions of the stock ones?

Thanks!
    Mike

Hi aplanchard
    I apreciate any insights of the Studio Card. I just purchase the Drums card only by reviews from other owners because I haven´t any access to those cards here in Venezuela.
    I listened to the Roland Site demo (I refer to the Studio Card) and the demo sounds very positive: Nice brass, slap bass, solo bass, acustic and electric guitars,some percussion and drums. What do you think about them? I understand that those cards possible not replace dedicate CDroms but are they at least usable? Could you leave some of those sounds in a serius production?
    Also, Does anybody have any comment on the SRX-05 Dance card?
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    Regards
    Jose Pereira

Go Back to forum