• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Ambient track and a technical question

Share/Bookmark

Ambient track and a technical question

I am working on a few ambient soundtracks to be added to my new website. Here is one called Savannah (as in Africa, not Georgia USA) Daybreak.

https://app.box.com/s/k1vhhypcj71ykj0f4rzc

Zero Garritan here - sorry. It's 100% Dimension Pro.

I am mostly posting though for technical help. There is a click at the start and the end of the track. I have no idea where they came from, nor how to get rid of them. Any ideas?

Thanks all!
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Ambient track and a technical question

Owen, at first I thought you would just need to snip off the beginning and end in your audio editor - I'm pretty sure you recently said you use Audacity, and that's where you could do that. But I wanted to check on that, so downloaded the MP3 and opened it in my editor, Sound Forge. I could plainly see the clicks in the waveform - but the strangest thing. No matter how much I cut off at the start, there was still a click - even when I added a fade in envelope. The ending click I successfully snipped off.

But that means there's something odd going - And it's something I recognize now happening for the first time since starting to use Sonar X3. In my projects, the start and ending of audio clips often have those same clicks, like the audio engine is somehow engaging and disengaging in some kind of funky way, causing the clicks. I've been able to get rid of those by collapsing or cutting off the starts and ends of the clips, which has to be done anyway. But I'm not getting the clicks in renderings of full projects.-- Still seems like it has to be related to your problem though.

My advice is to add one or two empty measures at the start and end of your project - Do that, then re-render the project. Open it up in Audacity, and cut off the dead air.-- Hopefully that will get you there.

Randy

That is also what I usually do, just like Randy: Adding a measure before and after (which you may need to store the instrument information and the possible starting keyswitches).

Max

+1. Sometimes more than one at the beginning and at least two at the end. Why at the end? SONAR stops all sound when the midi info stops (at all tracks). How about that last reverberation? Without those ending a truncated reverb is the result. When necessary I lengthen the midi tracks a bit, it has the same result.

And nobody talked about that musical track, which I find remarkable.

Raymond

Thanks all for your comments. Well, mystery part-solved at any rate. I always do add blank space at the beginning (to give me time to get settled to play after hitting record) and at the end (to capture the reverb tail - as Raymond mentioned), and then remove in Audacity.

However, for some reason this time, the waveform got shifted up above the zero line:

so no matter what I cut off, the audio driver always had to go "up the cliff" to just get started. Hence the click.

I have absolutely no idea how that happened, but I have re-rendered and it came out normal, like this:

- centered on the zero line. No cliff, no click.

Now, feel free to enjoy the work without worrying about my silly technical issues!

Possibly this one. Copied it from some SONAR Help reply.

Removing DC offset

Some models of audio hardware produce a DC offset while recording, which is caused by electrical mismatches between the audio hardware and the input device or instrument. Although imperceptible, DC offset may cause problems in further stages of sound processing.

Note: An easy way to spot DC offset is to zoom in to a silent section of your sound file. If the silent waveform matches the centerline in the waveform display, your file does not contain DC offset.

To remove DC offset from existing audio

1. Select the audio data and choose Process > Apply Effect > Remove DC Offset. This launches the Remove DC Offset dialog box.

2. Choose from the following options, and click OK:

DC Offset Threshold (dB). You can set a minimum dB threshold. If the analyzed DC offset is below this value, no removal takes place.

Analyze Left Channel (dB) and Right Channel (dB). This field displays the DC offset separately for the left and right channels. Press the Audition button to update the display.

Compute DC Offset from first 5 seconds only. To speed processing, select the Compute DC offset from first 5 seconds only check box. Only the first five seconds of a sound file will be analyzed when measuring the DC offset. The only time that five seconds is not sufficient is if a long fade-in or mute has been applied at the beginning of the file.

To remove DC offset during recording

1. Go to Process > Apply Effect > Remove DC Offset to open the Remove DC Offset dialog box.

2. In the DC Offset Threshold (dB) field, set a minimum dB threshold, and click OK to close the dialog box. If the analyzed DC offset is below this value, no removal takes place.

3. Go to Edit > Preferences > Audio - Playback and Recording, select the Remove DC Offset During Recording check box, and click OK.

This option filters out DC Offset according to the threshold value that you set in the Remove DC Offset dialog box.

Raymond

Hi Owen,

I fully agree with Raymond (not on the technical matters, he is far better in these than I am), but on the beauty of your score. It creates definitely a very relaxed atmosphere in a very musical way. I really enjoyed the listen on this rather cold saturday morning.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Raymond! Thank you SO MUCH! I finally understand what DC Offset is! Any time I read up about it, the explanation was so complicated that I was even more confused. Max thinks you commented on the music itself, but I can't see it. If you did, my apologies!

Max: Glad you enjoyed the music, and thanks for the kind comments. The work was really just inspired by some of the sounds available in Dimension Pro. A very nifty sound package and player for the $90 US I spent for it!

I did comment on the music. See one of the top replies, "And nobody talked about that musical track, which I find remarkable." No harm done. With all those little things in life..........

Glad it was really helpful....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I did comment on the music. See one of the top replies, "And nobody talked about that musical track, which I find remarkable." Raymond
    Aha! I thought you meant it was remarkable that nobody talked about the music! Well, thanks, Raymond. Appreciate the compliment.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast