• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hardware Synth Modules

Share/Bookmark

Hardware Synth Modules

I need some advice from you guys.

1. Is hardware synth better than software synth?
    2. What brand is the best for orchestral sounds?
    3. What should the hardware synth modules have build in?
    4. Is Roland XV-5080 good? How does it compare with Gigastudio?

My budget would be around $2000-$5000 (maybe more for exceptional sound quality)

Btw. Is it complicated process to record performance from X synth module in my computer, prefarble in my sequenser (Sonar 2)

sincerely,
    Falcon1

Re: Hardware Synth Modules

Originally posted by falcon1:
    I need some advice from you guys.

1. Is hardware synth better than software synth?

not necessarly...there are some softsynths that are as great as any hardware...reaktor, absynth, fm7, pro52, battery. go and check the softsynths from native instruments...they make some amazing soft synths.

2. What brand is the best for orchestral sounds?

there is no comparison of the giga libraries for the orchestral sounds...you can either use these giga libraries in gigastudio or some other samplers that can improt the giga format such as halion, kontact etc.

3. What should the hardware synth modules have build in?
    i\'m not one of those hardware guys, i started all out on the software front. but i suppose you should look out for something that has some good effects(reverb, eq etc), builtin sampler and sequencer will be a good deal if you don\'t want to invest separately into them. somebody else with knowledge of this will sure be able to help you out...

4. Is Roland XV-5080 good? How does it compare with Gigastudio?

don\'t have any idea about xv5080, but i doubt it will be as good as giga for the orchestral sounds and when i checked it on the net it sells for around 2000$

My budget would be around $2000-$5000 (maybe more for exceptional sound quality)

i think you should invest in giga libraries....for 5000$ you can have some great stuff with you.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Hey Falcon,

What kind of responses were you expecting from Gigasampler forum members anyway?

I think everyone here is going to be biased towards soft synths and samplers (obviously), I bet if you go to a hardware forum you\'ll get the exact opposite observations!

Originally posted by midphase:
    Hey Falcon,

What kind of responses were you expecting from Gigasampler forum members anyway?

I think everyone here is going to be biased towards soft synths and samplers (obviously), I bet if you go to a hardware forum you\'ll get the exact opposite observations!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hey midphase, i\'m not even a giga studio user(just because i can\'t afford those libraries that i want-too damn expensive) but i\'ve used the other softwares fm7, pro52 and yes, you can achieve amazing sounds with these(in my opinion these are nothing less than any hardware) and i\'m not saying this thing because i\'m a software only user, but because i\'ve really achieved some good sounds using these things...

peace, no more hardware vs software debate :-)

see ya

midphase,

I did expect some professional responses. I know that at least some of you have both experience from working with hardware/software synths and do know the both worlds.

sincerely,
    Falcon1

Ps. Of course I\'m also asking around on hardware forums and I\'m aware of the fact that people might be little biased towards the stuff it use.

You never really mention what type of msuic you\'ll be focusing on

I have an XP-30. I still use it all the time. I think having atleast one good sound module is a must. Even with all the sample libraries. You can run out of RAM, or jst need something quick...or jsut want to layer sounds.

If you\'re lookign for realism tho. Then yah, Samples. However, there are other reasons to have sounds than that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

KingIdiot,

I\'m mainly in orchestral music (symphonies, film scores etc.). So I need as much realism possible.

Yes, I\'ve been experiencing some RAM shortage lately but the thing is also that my computer doesn\'t allow more RAM than 384MB so I\'m also wondering if you would rather choose to buy a new computer or get a sound module in the higher price range.

Anyhow, I think I\'ll just do both. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sincerely,
    Falcon1

As an owner of both an XV-5080 and Gigastudio I might be able to offer some perspective.

I find gigastudio excellent for loading the bigger libs, such as GOS, Vota etc. The keyswitching works well, and the abillity to load a lot of instruments is a real plus.

On the other hand, for smaller samples over which I want more control, I\'ll load those into the XV.
    It\'s quite easy to edit the patches and the internal effects are very good.
    I view the XV as an allround workhorse; it has lots of good bread and butter sounds that are very playable; some of them might not score as high on the realism factor as a GS counterpart (the guitars are good but wouldn\'t match a big gigastudio patch), but then again, that is not what it is designed for...
    Another advantage is; turn it on and it works, no latency, guaranteed number of voices and effects, and it never crashes:P
    If you only do orchestral film stuff than giga might be all you\'d ever need...although the Roland catalogue has some usable orchestral sounds, they are not as up to date as the current gigalibs.
    However, if you do more than just that, then the XV might be a good addition to what you already have.
    I for one, couldn\'t live without it.....

Cheers,

Joris

Go Back to forum