• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM speeds and samples

Share/Bookmark

RAM speeds and samples

I just thought I\'d ask this question. Has anyone upgraded their RAM speeds a lot in the past while working with samples? (PC2700, 3200, 3700, etc). I was wanting to know if for example, I upgraded to PC3200 RAM, would I see a difference in load times? Also, is it more proficient in handling a few more samples and bandwidth? What changes do you see exactly?

Jared

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: RAM speeds and samples

Your RAM is going to clock to your chipset\'s speed, so as long as your RAM isn\'t moving slower than your chipset can handle, you\'re not going to get anything out of \"upgrading\" RAM.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Your RAM is going to clock to your chipset\'s speed, so as long as your RAM isn\'t moving slower than your chipset can handle, you\'re not going to get anything out of \"upgrading\" RAM.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok. I have PC2700 (DDR333), and a 2500+ Barton processor which only supports up to 333mhz. My mobo only supports up to 333mhz as well. Heh, guess I\'d have to upgrade the whole shibang to get any increase.

I guess it\'s relative...faster everything to see the performance increase. Those Athlon 64\'s....1600mhz FSB. Hmmmm baby!

Jared

I picked up an MSI K7N2 Delta-L plus an Athlon XP 2800+ for $200. With the Barton and MSI board I was able to boost the FSB to 200MHz on the BIOS and turn my proc into a 3200+ without a sweat. I added a GB of DDR3200 RAM ($96 per stick) and I\'ve been screaming and rock solid ever since. It\'s the best $400 I\'ve ever spent.

Nothing really to add about RAM speed, but just thought I\'d share with UK members a fantastic deal I\'ve found on ebuyer.com (the UK part of the site)

1Gig single stick DDR2100 for £95 incl VAT

be assured - it does - beeing on a FSB 800 mobo PC3200 modules reduce loding times _significantly_ (more than compared to rambus machines)
    christian

Originally posted by andyt .:
    Nothing really to add about RAM speed, but just thought I\'d share with UK members a fantastic deal I\'ve found on ebuyer.com (the UK part of the site)

1Gig single stick DDR2100 for £95 incl VAT
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And also you can find cheaper ram from www.scan.co.uk
    1.0Gb PC2700 (PC333) DDR Memory Major Non Ecc Retail £87.24(inv VAT), single stick and double sided. I ordered two of them and it was SIMTEC brand. I didn\'t work on may nForce chipset based computer. But I return them with no problem.
    You can try if you want.
    Excelent coustumer service.

Koray Ustuner

In any case, if you decide to buy RAM, be VERY CERTAIN you are buying from a dependable source and I highly recommend you get memory that is a very established brand. I have not done this in the past and I have paid dearly for it. High quality RAM is one of the fundamental factors of system stability. It is a must.

Go Back to forum