• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New demo MP3 sporting VOTA, SI, G-Town and more

Share/Bookmark

New demo MP3 sporting VOTA, SI, G-Town and more

I posted a new demo composition, actually made for a small local computer party here in Copenhagen It\'s at http://www.simonravn.com/media/MiddleEarth-192.mp3 - as the title might imply, there are some inspirations from LOTR here and there. OK I\'d better get to the \'what sounds are used\' part:

Strings: SI strings all the way, except two GOS short bow patches.

Brass: I JUST got Dan Dean, but NOT in time for this, so the brass is just AO and QLB, and Maartens trumpet patch.

Woodwinds: AO+Miroslav, QLRI irish flute.

Percussion: Lots of Tobias\' G-town stuff: Bongos, toms, prepared piano and last but not least, anvils. Custom snares, LOP snares, LOP+Ultimate Orch Percussion cymbals, Ultimate Timpani timpanis, LOP bassdrums + xylophone + chimes + windchimes. QLRI taikos.

- and VOTA choir. That should be it Mix is not perfect - I\'d like snares to be more prominent in the 5/8 part and also boost the strings there, but I had to mix this in the middle of the night with headphones on. Might do a better mix some day.

Re: New demo MP3 sporting VOTA, SI, G-Town and more

nice music Simon!!

Simon:

This is quite exceptional. Forget the \"what sounds you used part\", it\'s more a matter of the decision making process and execution here, very inspired composition.

Alas, we are getting very close to the point where the people chosen to do major soundtracks must look over their shoulders and be aware of those currently \"in the shadows\". Technology is happily allowing what really counts, inspiration, to even the playing field.

Congratulations, Gungnir

Amazing work Simon!
    You\'re really improving fast you know that?

You listened well to the LOTR score [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I hear a similar story-telling as the cue where you go down into the ork mines (5/8) and then back up to Gandalf trapped on the tower + the butterfly (soft choir part). Well done.

I really like the low murmering with the choir and -ofcourse- the 5/8 part.

Those G-Town toms and anvils really work wonders! Reading the the G-Town thread, standard drumset toms or not, they just work in cues like this, esp. because of the ambience. Thank you again Tob!

Best,

Maarten

Simon,

That sounds wonderful! I have not heard LOTR myself, but your music sounds very cinematic.

Those SI strings do sound great actually, not unlike GOS, but more as if they could be aggresive and smooth at once.

The percussion is great (Thanks for those anvils, Tob!).

And I honestly didn\'t know that VOTA could sound so subdued and angelical, the choir around the 2 min mark sounds heaven-like beautiful, I have heard the Abyss... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One quick question: When you record, do you use a metronome inside your sequencer or something to get the timing right? Probably sounds stupid. It\'s that I\'m trying to record some stuff just by ear, and I\'m having some hard time (me is stupid newbie hehe!)

Thanks,

Ruben

Thank you for sharing.

I agree - your writing has improved and I was very inspired by this cue.

Regards,
    Didier

wait till he starts using DDBE [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds excellent Simon [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wow Simon, it sound wonderful!! Great work and it was really fun to hear that some of my percussions were useful Talk to you later.

/Tobias

Simon,

well done. How do you like the Dan Dean brass over AO+OLB...?

Go Back to forum