• Register
  • Help

Topic: The heat of the competition

Share/Bookmark

The heat of the competition

Stealing customers from the competition by offering crossgrades seems to grow into a popular strategy. I read that registered users of GS are offered a crossgrade for Kontakt by Native Instruments. You can read about it here.
    It is said that you can keep your original copy of GS, so, they seem to have a lot of confidence in their product.

Re: The heat of the competition

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Jan:
    Stealing customers from the competition by offering crossgrades seems to grow into a popular strategy. I read that registered users of GS are offered a crossgrade for Kontakt by Native Instruments. You can read about it here.
    It is said that you can keep your original copy of GS, so, they seem to have a lot of confidence in their product.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sequencer companies have been doing this for years. And Native Instruments should definitely have confidence in Kontakt...it is an absolutely wonderful tool with very unique and desirable features.

The crossgrade isn\'t necessarily my motivation for kicking up dust about a Giga-exclusive copy protection scheme for libraries (I\'ve been using Kontakt alongside Giga for a while), but certainly it\'s a relationship.

Kontakt certainly isn\'t Giga, and it doesn\'t replace Giga or threaten it on a streaming-type application standpoint. However, it is SUCH an excellent tool with different strengths and unique capabilities (and Tascam could learn SO much from its easy and super-fast layer/crossfade editor, wow).

Right now, the relationship of libraries to host applications is causing so much stress. There is room for everything. People should consider the relationship of host application to samples against other artistic mediums for perspective.

If the library is the paint, the host app is the brush. If the library is the granite, the host app is the chisel.

You want your choice of brushes as a painter.

You want your choice of chisels as a sculptor.

The industry remains healthy, and musicians get the best choices, and when the manufacturers of the \"brushes and chisels\" compete on the strength of their quality for a given price.

I believe crossgrades are a very healthy part of this. Musicians get quality tools at a discounted rate, and manufacturers get a chance to put their stuff in front of musicians. Kontakt won\'t stop me from continuing with GigaStudio, and GigaStudio doesn\'t prevent me from loving Kontakt.

I wouldn\'t think of it as stealing. Tascam/Nemesys already has that musician\'s money, and is just as likely to get more of it as long as they continue to provide a reason for the musician to stick it out. If anything, these crossgrades are good because they force ALL of our vendors to keep the musician in mind foremost and design their products and strategies in a way that keeps the musician happy and buying.

Actually, at first when I saw the message my eyes read ‘kostenlos’ instead of ‘kostengünstig’, so my first thought was ‘Unbelievable, a free crossgrade!’, and I posted this message. Then I thought about it, put my glasses on, re-read the message, and became aware of how my wishful thinking had been in charge [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .
    Although crossgrading for sequencers may have been around for a long while, it is only recently that it began to attract my attention when I read the ad Steinberg placed for Cubase after Logic had been sold to Apple and it was made public that further development for the PC platform would be dropped. Steinberg emphasized the possibity of crossgrading from their Emagic competitor in their ads aggressively, and now there is a crossgrade offer for the Kontakt software sampler as well. It seems to spread, who knows, next we may see crossgrades offers from library developers competing with each other! (although I think not [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Cakewalk did the same thing with SONAR (offered to Emagic orphans). They tell me it has been a tremendous success, and there are a lot of new SONAR users out there.

The Kontakt crossgrade is a very good deal. The library that comes along with it is worth much more than that all by itself!! there\'s a gorgeous nylon guitar sample in there.

Go Back to forum