• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A SAFE forum?

Share/Bookmark

A SAFE forum?

Just the other day I talked with a colleague about how safe your computer can be.
    He told me a friend of him, who works as a software developer, had told him to surf the internet on Friday night and check his desktop the next morning. So he did, and he found a new file had been put there by his developer friend. He was able to tell him what his email addresses were, what was on his hard disk (as evidenced by screen prints), he told him that he could read documents residing on his disc, in short, NOTHING was private. My colleague had installed two firewalls and a virus scanner, and the firewall did not report anything.
    So, I see that on this forum the IP addresses of the members are made public. I do not like this because it is a public forum, and those with bad intentions and too much time on their hands might pick an IP address, just for fun, and break into that person’s computer.
    My request to the administrators is to protect their members by NOT showing their IP addresses. Instead, couldn’t you do something like the Tascam forum, where it simply says ‘IP logged’?

Re: A SAFE forum?

Other people have made this comment. The forum moderators have not responded, as usual.

I\'m a programmer and it would be a piece of cake to write a javscript, asp, or visual basic program to read this entire site and grab all of the ip addresses of it\'s users. I have asked the moderators of this forum to hide the ip address a while back, no response. Trust me, it\'s going to happen sooner or later. Some auto-scanning program is going to load this site in and get a few 1000 ip addresses in time at all.

I heard this on an article that Microsoft will start doing check-ups on computers all over the place by actually somewhat hacking into your computer making sure that everything you have in there is legal and whatnot and not pirated
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That would be like the equivalent of some manufacturer breaking into your house just to check if you have a license for using his appliance; I think that will get Microsoft into serious trouble.

When I compared a computer with a firewall and a virusscanner to a house with the door closed and locked, I was corrected. It seems that to a veteran hacker getting into someone’s computer is relatively easy, even with firewalls installed. So, I do not feel comfortable with our IP addresses exposed. As Maarten already remarked, why are our IP addresses made public? Isn’t it sufficient simply to mention that they are logged, so that in case of abuse the administrators can track someone’s IP address? But then again, spoofing an IP address seems to be very easy, there are special free programs on the download sites (like TUCOWS, C-NET) that enable someone to fake his/her IP address.
    So, moderators, please make this forum a little bit safer for us, the members of your forum. Thank you.

ditto

Yes, rather than spending time censoring a forum member such as Donnie, possibly your censorship could be more aptly applied to the dissemination of information that could prove much more damaging than the raving of an impassioned musician. - Gungnir

He told me a friend of him, who works as a software developer, had told him to surf the internet on Friday night and check his desktop the next morning. So he did, and he found a new file had been put there by his developer friend. He was able to tell him what his email addresses were, what was on his hard disk (as evidenced by screen prints), he told him that he could read documents residing on his disc, in short, NOTHING was private. My colleague had installed two firewalls and a virus scanner, and the firewall did not report anything.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sounds like his \"friend\" installed a trojan. An insider attack, IOW. A good firewall would\'ve caught this, but like any tool it\'s useless unless set up & used properly. (I don\'t even consider things like ZoneAlarm and BlackIce and McAffee true \"firewalls\" anyway...why do so many people bother when easy & free programs like Tiny are available?)

Even if my hunch is correct, avoiding future attacks has nothing to do with exposing one\'s IP address here. Security by anonymity is no security at all.

I\'m a programmer and it would be a piece of cake to write a javscript, asp, or visual basic program to read this entire site and grab all of the ip addresses of it\'s users.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If I couldn\'t write a line of code, I could still harvest everyone\'s IP by embedding a transparent GIF in one of my posts and reading my server\'s log files. That\'s simply a fact; whether or not you lose sleep over it is up to you I suppose, but let\'s not pretend the forum administrators have a moral obligation or anything.

The non-crowded Sonic Control forum hides IP addresses too.

It would be a safe idea for a super-crowded forum like NS to hide them too.

Why are they shown to individual users anyway? Location is nice to know, but who here is actually tracking other user\'s IP\'s ?

Maarten

I heard this on an article that Microsoft will start doing check-ups on computers all over the place by actually somewhat hacking into your computer making sure that everything you have in there is legal and whatnot and not pirated. Ugh.

but let\'s not pretend the forum administrators have a moral obligation or anything
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe not an obligation, but they could respect our wishes for protection of the privacy of the members on this forum. And those wishes are not unfounded, those with a cable- or ASDL connection to the internet have the same IP address whenever they are logged in.
    And although all the ISPs assure you that as long as you have a good firewall installed you are safe, a reality check teaches me differently. The colleague I mentioned had Zonealarm and BlackIce installed, and I would not call a firewall like ZoneAlarm a bad firewall; all reviews I have read of this firewall have been very positive so far. If you also take into account that in the past hackers proved to be able to break into Microsoft’s own server and steal the source code of the new Windows version they were working on, well, I don’t think it is wise to consider your computer ‘safe’ when you are surfing on the internet, especially if you are using MSInternetExplorer.
    Now, I am not going to lose any sleep over it, but I believe it is better to be safe than sorry. And I don’t think that it takes much effort for the moderators to dispense with displaying our IP addresses.

Go Back to forum