• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS vs. Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings

Share/Bookmark

GOS vs. Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings

Garritan Orchestral Strings or Sonic Implants Symphonic String Collection.....which of these two is a better string library for classical and film music?

Re: GOS vs. Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings

Both libraries are used in LA. Some favor SISS because of the sound of the strings, even though it\'s a smaller sounding ensemble.

Others prefer GOS because of both the sound AND the control you have with the Maestro tool. The Maestro tool is a very POWERFUL tool that enables you to really nail the bowings. Also, the MSRP on GOS is $300 less than SISS. So if you\'re on a budget, keep that in mind.

The next closest to it would be Opus 1 because of the Performance tool.

On the other hand, SISS has excellent muted strings, a good selection of \"film effect\" bowings, very consistent set of spiccato bowings, etc.

So what you have to think about is:

. sound
    . control

Originally posted by CadeBryant:
    Garritan Orchestral Strings or Sonic Implants Symphonic String Collection.....which of these two is a better string library for classical and film music?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">no contest, SISS

Ed

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Here we go again!

Thanks for your insight, Peter.

BTW, I should mention that I own GPO, so I\'m hesitant to buy a string library that\'s going to duplicate (or sound too similar to) the strings in GPO - which is what I\'m afraid might be the case with GOS.

Some of the demos on SI\'s website were quite impressive (except for \"Sleep Children,\" where the strings sounded too Mellotron-ish, with unrealistic attacks and releases. But the nagain, maybe this is the effect the composer desired.)

Originally posted by CadeBryant:
    Thanks for your insight, Peter.

BTW, I should mention that I own GPO, so I\'m hesitant to buy a string library that\'s going to duplicate (or sound too similar to) the strings in GPO - which is what I\'m afraid might be the case with GOS.

Some of the demos on SI\'s website were quite impressive (except for \"Sleep Children,\" where the strings sounded too Mellotron-ish, with unrealistic attacks and releases. But the nagain, maybe this is the effect the composer desired.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My only reponses to that are:

1. GPO has reduced strings in a Kontakt Player.
    2. GOS is 12GB or better and has the Maestro Tools
    3. SISS is now available in Kontakt format plus Giga.

So, do you want-

1. a Giga Solution (you have two choices with two different libraries)

2. a Kontakt solution with SISS only. Or optionally, QLSO Gold for roughly the same price as the SISS strings only. Full orchestra vs. String section.

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] here we go again....but SISSS in my opinion - nice live string sound....out of the box...

Originally posted by handz:
    [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] here we go again....but SISS in my opinion - nice live string sound....out of the box...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why, \"here we go again?\" I presented him sound choices and options to be considered in making his decision.

I think he\'s just saying that this has been talked about before. Many times. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I can understand your dilemma. I listened to the demos and read the information for hours before choosing. Both are excellent libraries and you won\'t go wrong with either. The demo pages on the websites prove that.

I own GOS and it had a bit of a learning curve to get the sound you\'re after but once you know what you\'re doing, you can get very good sounding strings very quickly. I\'m still finding new uses for the Midi Tool that comes with GOS. Also, I\'ve been experimenting with the bow noise samples for that really intimate string sound.

Cade,

Afore ye pay yer due, ken that GOS2 is due the noo!

Frank

Go Back to forum