• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: FBI warning labels to appear on CDs, DVDs, software

Share/Bookmark

FBI warning labels to appear on CDs, DVDs, software

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The FBI said Thursday it is giving Hollywood film studios, music companies and software makers permission to use its name and logo on their DVDs, CDs and other digital media in hopes the labels will deter consumers from making illegal copies.

Like the warning messages that have appeared on VHS tapes and DVDs for years, the new labels spell out that unauthorized copying and distribution of digital content is punishable by up to five years in prison and a fine of $250,000. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

read more at.

http://us.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/02/20/downloading.music.ap/

I think Europe will follw soon - more serious. Through history Agriculture products has been no.1 export from Denmark. In 2003 Software was biggest. This means that our governments can not afford not to try harder to stop piracy.

Re: FBI warning labels to appear on CDs, DVDs, software

\"U.S. software companies lose up to $12 billion a year to piracy, according to the Software and Information Industry Association. Music companies lost more than $4.6 billion worldwide last year, according to the RIAA, and movie industry officials pegged their annual losses from bootlegged films at more than $3.5 billion. \" (from CNN article)

That\'s a lot of money...

And yes - I think it will eventually work with a warning - because FBI will try catch some now - that\'s for sure - and who want\'s to go in jail?

people warn more and make it even more public.
    look what happened to napser. some guys were downlading stuff and then the chaos happened after they made it really public. more guys downloaded music etc and it became even more worse.

so whats the point? every poison got it\'s remedy and every remedy got it\'s poison.

you can\'t stop people doing piracy, drug abuse, smoking etc. they do it and just do it.

and as for the music industry, they should check if the price of 16? per cd (i can only talk for germany) isn\'t just too much.

I agree with what\'s already been said. Just look at how much of a deterent the FBI warning has been on pirating videos and dvds - NOT!!!

Thats about as helpful as the warnings we get on our cigarette packs in OZ saying that \"smoking can be harmful and causes cancer.\"

Ben H

Oh well, still this assumption that people would have actually BOUGHT the stuff if the penalties were tougher. They would just copy less, not buy more.

This also reminds me of what they put on cigarette boxes here in Holland: \"PEOPLE WHO COPY MUSIC LIVE SHORTER\" [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

(you beat me to it, Ben)

But don\'t you find it disturbing that our countries loose so many money? This is the money that we need to build schools, social care, build roads, hospitals etc?

Do you really beoive that FBI would be involved if they thought no pirates would buy anyway?

I really hate that \"software companies lose up to $12 billion a year to piracy\" statments - They dont lose money they don´t EARN money. Most of peoples using illegal stuff dont using it for business but home for \"plaing\" And if that people dont have chance to get this soft illegaly they simply live without it...
    (not judging piracy but software companies somtimes plays a little big \"poorpoorpooor\"ones)

Originally posted by handz:
    Most of peoples using illegal stuff dont using it for business but home for \"plaing\" And if that people dont have chance to get this soft illegaly they simply live without it...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">?????? how do you use a DVD movie or PC Game for business? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Come on!!! These arguments are poor - and BTW: you say that our music software/sample libraries shouldn\'t be paid if you don\'t use it profesionally???

So if a child buys a piano or a guitar - he should steal it? because he is just playing for fun or rehearsing?

Handz? What job do you have? If you have a job you sell something - in some way - what if I just take that without paying?

Should I walk into a sports shop and steal a bassball glove - because I\'m not a pro?

Hoho - do you ever seen PIRATED baseball glow???
    Im talking about Software.
    DVD, PC game -its the same - if those people dont have chance to get it - they simply live without it. You dont need DVD or PC games for live.
    but anyway - if someone download PC game from net - and plays it - did he hurt Company that selling it? He never buy it .He play it because he could have it free. So company dont lose money and not earn money. You cant learn People not using pirated stuff. There alway will be Two groups 1) - Buy legal soft use it
    2) they dont need it for live but wants to try -so they download it from net
    Ok and 3) those who using pirated soft in their Companies for business -only Real danger in my opinion.

Im working as PC Graphic

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by chocothrax:
    Nobody wants to go to jail but noone is really afraid. What are the chances of being caught? Most people don\'t even consider being caught a possibility. I feel bad for small time software developers who are affected by piracy but the RIAA can rot in hell for all I care. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why is that, exactly? Do you not believe that people are entitled to the compensation they ask for their product?

At any rate, this is far from a small deal. Matters of piracy to date have been largely confined to enforcement in civil courts, where the expense of pursuing remedies lies with the IP owner. Now, this is different.

It WILL matter. People who have put good identification systems in place WILL be able to pursue those who share, and they will go to jail.

And that is more than fine with me. PIRATES can rot in hell for all I care.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast