• Register
  • Help

Topic: Prelude and Fugue Nr 1

Share/Bookmark

Prelude and Fugue Nr 1

The fugue might be better described as fugal variations. The extended sixteenth note passages may seem a blur, but there is much more to be heard. Although there are only three voices being played, at least five parts can be distinguished, all of which are very closely related to the subject & counter-subject. It is scored in C Major, which is but a notational convenience.

Prelude and Fugue Nr 1
    https://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/153216.html

Richard

Re: Prelude and Fugue Nr 1

Hi Bill,

I've just listened to your Prelude and Fugue and I must say that I'm quite impressed. It's not my style of music, but the way your composition is constructed is pretty impressive. The building up towards the end is breathtaking. (LOL remark: I wouldn't want to be the performer, only for the foot pealing work...) The organ player should be in very good health and shape!.

Big applause!

Max

Hello Richard!

This is quite dramatic! There is a lot of very unsettled motion throughout this that gives it a great feeling of tension. The quality of the rendering really makes that even more apparent! To be honest, if I'd listened to this a few years ago, I probably would've disliked it quite a bit, but the organ is kind of growing on me.

Also, yay for C Major! Who needs all those fancy sharps and flats in the key signature? Besides, with as difficult as this piece sounds already, I don't think it needs any more complications like that

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Greetings, Max and Michael! Thanks for your time and comments. It is always good to read comments on my music, especially when favorable!

Yep, lots of tension. Still leaves me breathless. I like to create a feeling of near chaos, then resolve it, but now and then, I end with the chaos.

I am not really certain that the key is C Major. There are so many accidentals, and the music is sometimes quite indeterminate about the tonality.

C Major is a perfectly good key, and when playing gigs, I used it often. However, E Flatt fits the hands better for most people. But mostly , I write in C Major because so often my music does not really fit any major or minor key, but sometimes Dorian mode is clear, and being partial to D Dorian, there is again the appearance of C Major.

Richard

Go Back to forum