• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: OT: About human eyes, computer screens & related stuff...

Share/Bookmark

OT: About human eyes, computer screens & related stuff...

This is a serious topic to all hard working people amongst you, spending most of their time behind computer screens.

The last couple of months have been horribly busy and occupied for me and for the last week/2 weeks or so I\'m noticing a nonstop burning of my eyes. I think this is a combination of too much screen work (perhaps in an environment too dark) and not enough sleep.

So here\'s a serious question.

What do YOU guys do to avoid ruining your eyes in our working industry? RSI (mouse arm) is one thing, but this is another thing that is perhaps underestimated.

I turn down contrast and brightness on my screens and often (not kidding this) wear contrasted sunglasses when I work at night. It\'s relaxing for your eyes.

Anyone has something to say about this?

Best,

Maarten

Re: OT: About human eyes, computer screens & related stuff...

One thing that helps me a bit is that I have learned to look at the screen ONLY when I have to...and it helps a bit...
    Just keep some toys, books, posters, pictures around your working space and look at that whenever you can..
    So if your waiting for loading/saving/processing etc don\'t look at the screen..
    If you\'re listening to what you have just edited/composed don\'t look at the screen and so on..
    If your thinking/planing, again don\'t look at the evil screen..hehe
    In other words rest your eyes when ever you can, even if it\'s for a minute..
    Sounds stupid, but it did help my eyes a bit.

take care... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Do you believe that flat screens (TFT) are better for the eyes?

Thomas

A little exercise to do when eye fatigue sets in
    Most of the fatigue is due to focusing to things close up..

exercise 1:
    Try placing your thumb an arm\'s length away. Focus your eyes on the fingernail then focus on something further than your thumb (about 2 meters away). Then bring focus back on your thumb. Then back to the thing further away. back and forth. back and forth. making sure you really focus on both objects clearly.

exercise 2: Focus on something (in detail) 2 to 3 meters away for 30 seconds to a minute,

This focusing on things further away helps to use eye muscles that are unexercised as we sit so close to our screens.

These exercises help me. As well as just closing my eyes or just getting away from the computer for 15-30 minutes.

Focusing closeup causes the muscles to contract, focusing the lens. Looking at distant objects, the lens is in rest mode and muscles are more relaxed, hardly doing anything. Occasion close-far exercises help the eyes, as well as just staring at something distant, (e.g. out the window) which rests the eye.

In my experience at least, a good in-focus CRT doesn\'t cause any more strain for me than an LCD screen. Text on the CRT is smoother, while LCD text is sharper, yet blocky, since you see each pixel. Neither is perfect. Just try to have decent contrast so the eyes can focus on the letters easily.

Just my experience...

Maarten,

I can\'t add anything to the discussion, but yes, it is a big concern for me. An anecdotal story that just happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

After a long, long day (12 hours) of working at the computer, I needed to get to the local Grocery Store before they closed, just a few blocks away. Well 2 of L.A\'s finest pulled me over. They made me do a sobriety test.

Only thing I drank all day was a lot of coffee. However, they said my eyes looked completely dazed. Didn\'t believe I wasn\'t on something. It doesn\'t help that I\'m a clumsy guy by nature anyway.

Fortunately, I talked my way out of it, or I could have been hauled down for a blood test. Of course I passed the breathalizer. Still, I must have looked drugged...and no...I don\'t indulge.

Maarten,

I can\'t add anything to the discussion, but yes, it is a big concern for me. An anecdotal story that just happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

After a long, long day (12 hours) of working at the computer, I needed to get to the local Grocery Store before they closed, just a few blocks away. Well 2 of L.A\'s finest pulled me over. They made me do a sobriety test.

Only thing I drank all day was a lot of coffee. However, they said my eyes looked completely dazed. Didn\'t believe I wasn\'t on something. It doesn\'t help that I\'m a clumsy guy by nature anyway.

Fortunately, I talked my way out of it, or I could have been hauled down for a blood test. Of course I passed the breathalizer. Still, I must have looked drugged...and no...I don\'t indulge.

I have heard that flat panel monitors are better on the eyes. I think it has to do with the refresh rate. Something that I am looking into is a presentation display that I can project onto the wall or onto a large screen. The prices of these have really gone down in the past several months and you can get a good one for home use for around $1200. I would suggest getting something at least 1100 lumens so that you can see it clearly with the lights on.

Scott

The refresh rate is an issue but I think the main thing here is that your eyes are focusing on something very near to you for long periods of time. The same would probably happen if you were reading books all day.

Those eye exercises sound like a good idea, Marty, I\'ll have to try them. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The following is what I know from writing software for submarines (DOD Specification).

Some ideas: Control the lighting in your room and the colors of your applications.

Bright white light causes, for lack of a better word, brain fatigue (as opposed to eye muscle fatigue). This is because white light contains all visible frequencies, which excite all of your cones and rods (the two types of visual neuro-receptors). Especially control the background colors of your computer applications - black is best (no neural stimulation). The best combination for this type of eyestrain is a black background with red foreground. This is what they use on submarines though it requires very controlled room lighting conditions. Second best is green or yellow on black. This is because red/yellow/green excite the fewest cones in your eye (rods are black and white). The less excitement the less fatigue (there is no eye fatigue in the dark). One problem though is that you cannot control the colors of all your apps.

Controlling room lighting not only help when not looking at your screen but reduces glare on your screen (hopefully a flat one) and keeps those neurons at low level of activity. Use incandescent lights rather than florescent.

Monitors with black plastic are better than off-white are also good. Black on the wall behind your monitor is good.

Know that reading causes myopia. I don\'t think there is a way around that.

Also, unless you are within about 12-15\" of your screen, you should be safe from the electromagnetic radiation (so they say).

So, a low, consistent level of light is good. Excite your ears not your cones and rods.

Go Back to forum