• Register
  • Help

Topic: Post Harpsichords

Share/Bookmark

Post Harpsichords

Hi all,

I\'ve just received the Post Harpsichords vol 1, and I\'m very pleased with it.
    (Well, I\'m not impressed by the lutes)

However I noticed a short delay between pressing a key and the start of the sound.

I exported a few samples to .wav and viewed them in WaveLab Light.
    It appeared that there was a silence of about 36 ms (about 1600 samples)
    The silence was not complete: zooming in the y direction (amplitude) showed some noise.
    However the \"real\" signal starts later.
    Also, this period of silence differed from note to note.
    Although I examined only 6 notes/instrument the silence varied between 1610 and 1940 samples.

Luckily, the instrument editor allows you to start the playback from an offset, so I entered
    the value 1611 for all the samples. I didn\'t want to examine each sample seperaty.

The question is: Why this silence?
    Does this emulate a real harpsichord?
    Was the software for determining the start of signal to sensitive?
    Did they forget it?

Hans

Re: Post Harpsichords

Hi Johan.

We distribute the Post Harpsichord, and the problems you describe was on a early version of these samples. Can you please contact me at per@biggagiggas.com and we can sort this out.

Originally posted by Johan:
    Hi all,

It appeared that there was a silence of about 36 ms (about 1600 samples)
    The silence was not complete: zooming in the y direction (amplitude) showed some noise.
    However the \"real\" signal starts later.
    Also, this period of silence differed from note to note.
    The question is: Why this silence?
    Does this emulate a real harpsichord?
    Was the software for determining the start of signal to sensitive?
    Did they forget it?

Hans
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Hans,
    Sorry I kind of overlooked your question.
    We did have a slight problem with the start of these samples in the very early version of this library. Worra and I fixed it about a year or two ago. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] There must have been a delay here...

However; there IS a delay between the key press and the sound. The noise you hear is the noise of the key going down and the \"hammer\" lifting the strings. In a harpsichord there is the click moment where the hammer passes the strings and they start resonating. This is why I left a small pause at the beginning. This feature (if you want to call it, error) adds to the experience of reality when you perform with the samples. It sounds very authentic this way as opposed to the clean cut harpsi sounds found on most Yamaha Clavinova series of keyboards.

You will find if you play a real harpsichord that it has a very sloppy mechanism, you would call it too much latency when this appears with a modern softsynth, but it\'s typical for the instrument. Ever played a church organ? There is plenty of latency there and no-one ever complains...
    [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Seriously, you may have an old copy of Post Harpsichords, in order to find out what is the case we need to know where you purchased it.

Michiel Post

Hi Michiel,

Thanks for your reply.

I bought the CD from Feedback (Rotterdam) for 150 euro.
    I had to wait for it a few weeks, so I don\'t suspect that they had it on stock.
    Date of the .exe file = 25 Jan 2001

Greetings,
    Hans

bad deal!
    The library is 95 euro everywhere (biggagiggas, TASAM store, my online store). I have never sold to Feedback so I wonder what\'s their story. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Somebody added a few steps in the food chain. Please contact me privately at (postaudiomedia@xs4all) for further steps.

Michiel Post

Go Back to forum