• Register
  • Help

Topic: Favorite Acoustic Drums Samples?

Share/Bookmark

Favorite Acoustic Drums Samples?

Looking for guidance on best acoustic drums samples collection or group of collections(studio, jazz, rock, pop) to trigger via midi files. Any thoughts?

Re: Favorite Acoustic Drums Samples?

vrsound giga module

Jim Roseberry\'s \"Purrrfect Drums\" from www.studiocat.com

I have used Jim\'s drums on most all of my demos at www.bardstownaudio.com , with the exception of a few brush and snare samples from DS Soundware. www.dssoundware.com

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

I use Battery vst a great deal of the time and their Studio drum set is outstanding. I\'ve imported the wavs into Gigastudio as well and they work just great.

Another really impressive kit, for jazz and funk in particular, is the Steve Gadd drums (2 cds). At the end of the loops the whole kit has been recorded sound by sound at a good range of dynamics etc, and it took me about 2 hours to split each sound up and create great .gig files from them. The realism is superb and it wasn\'t very expensive.

I also like the Peter Erskine lib for the individual sounds (but the loops, while very nicely performed, are severely lacking in quantity.)

Dasher

Thanks for your input. The Erskine disk is on its way via the Tascam promo. I\'ll check out all of the other recommendations. On first glance, it seems that Purrrfect Drums is probably what I\'m after.

If I were starting fresh, I\'d consider abandoning the traditional drum samples and loops and move over to \"Stylus\" from Eric Persing. I think that this arena is the future of midi percussion.

The concept is more versatile and allows for more unique programming of the percussion so you don\'t sound like everybody else.

It also appears that there will be an evolving number of new sounds and palettes as developers work in this format.

I suspect that Atmospheres will do the same for the ambient sample libraries, and Trilogy to bass.

For me, I know I have purchased my last drum sample library.

Another recommendation for Purrfect Drums! Nothing like the cymbals anywhere else in sampleland. (BTW, I\'m using the HALion version [bought it before I bought GigaStudio], but I assume the Giga version is just as good or better.)

Here\'s an excerpt from Jim\'s site-- http://www.StudioCat.com/purrrfect%20drums.htm

\"recorded with world-class mics, preamps, and A/D converters (i.e.: AKG C24, GML preamps, Swissonic AD96 A/D converters). Pro-level drums and cymbals were hand-picked for recording of these samples, such as Yamaha Recording Custom, Ayotte, DW, Premier, and Pearl, and Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian cymbals. Each articulation consists of 16 velocity cross-switch samples, and is allowed to decay fully and naturally into the noise floor. To give you an idea of how extensive the library is, there is over 1/2 hour of ride cymbal decay, as well as 17 hi-hat articulations. This comprehensive set is about 20 CD\'s worth of data, compressed to fit on 8 CDs.\"

Hey Runyon,

I thought Stylus was strictly processed sounds, not much acoustic stuff. Oh please tell me I\'m wrong, and I\'ll be in. Anxiously awaiting Atmospheres and Trilogy.

Go Back to forum