• Register
  • Help

Topic: Conversations

Share/Bookmark

Conversations

This is a work I have posted at the Make Music forum and thought some here would like to hear it.

follow this thread to discover what it is all about: Conversations in a Crowded Restaurant

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Conversations

I heard this when it was performed by the Solaris Quintet and they did a fantastic job of performing some difficult passages. It is something you should listen to and enjoy.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi Bill,

I enjoyed your Conversations immensely. The instruments are chattering and babbling, arguing and quarrelling. (Are they ever listening to one another?) I started the Finale version (which sounds very good), but I couldn't resist to switch pretty soon to the live version. Certainly worth the while! The musicians have not been spoiled with easy parts for sure, but they perform great. And the recording quality is very neat.

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I enjoyed your Conversations immensely. The instruments are chattering and babbling, arguing and quarrelling. (Are they ever listening to ane another?) I started the Finale version (which sounds very good), but I couldn't resist to switch pretty soon to the live version. Certainly worth the while! The musicians have not been spoiled with easy parts for sure, but they perform great. And the recording quality is very neat.

Thanks for sharing,
    Max
    Thanks for listening, Max. Yes, indeed it is a challenging piece. But, these pros were up to the challenge. Your second sentence aptly describes the piece. I should have included it in my program notes. You are a very astute listener. They are the woodwind faculty from Akron State University and are extremely capable players. I am blessed to live in a city that still, in some small way, promotes the arts. A grant from several foundations supports the Composers Guild and the recording and hiring of top notch performers. Art is alive and well in Cleveland Ohio!

Thanks, again, for listening!

Rich, I was so pleasantly surprised when I saw you at my concert at Baldwin Wallace. It made for a very enjoyable day. Thanks for coming.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Very descriptive! I swear I heard everyone say "Check please!" at 1:07 in the live version!

Great work, and thanks for posting.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Very descriptive! I swear I heard everyone say "Check please!" at 1:07 in the live version!

Great work, and thanks for posting.
    Hi Englishgent,

Thanks for listening. I am glad you enjoyed this work. I will have to listen and see if I also hear, "Check please!" That's funny. A musical joke, hey, maybe I am related to Papa Haydn?

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Glad you like Max's description, Bill "...The instruments are chattering and babbling, arguing and quarreling..." I agree, that's perfect!

Randy
    Yes Randy, just like sitting in a reastaurant and trying to figure out who is saying what - I have hearing aids now, but it is no easier!

Thanks for the listen. It was fun to compose for such a fine group!

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hello Bill!

First, I love the composition, the dichotomy of the short staccatos with the sustained notes is just magnificent! I thought the Finale rendering was great, and I couldn't really hear anything all that wrong with it. Then, once I started playing the live version, the piece received a whole new life! That was a fantastic performance, I really enjoyed listening to both versions!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Sanyarem,

Thanks for listening. The Solaris Woodwind Quintet is comprised of very excellent players. It was a fun piece to contrive.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum