• Register
  • Help

Topic: Very OT: MTV Music Video Awards

Share/Bookmark

Very OT: MTV Music Video Awards

Bruce was rocking as usual....but did anyone else get a load of Axl Rose\'s new band? Long story short, his voice is gone, he looks awful, the band sucked. I won\'t mention anything else about the show due to the fact I couldn\'t find anything interesting. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Very OT: MTV Music Video Awards

I encourage myself NOT to engage in anything whose very principle is confused...ie., The MTV Music Video Awards...awards are given to \'artists\' (and I use the term rather loosely) who...for the most part...share no active role in the production of such promotions...rather, they serve only as passive logo\'s...merely accretions to the finished product...
    why are those who actually play the role of director, producer, editor relegated to mere sidenotes? I understand the candy coated idea that IS MTV...but come on...do they have to so blatantly expose their manipulation of our youth? (im 20)
    I watched part of it last night...(I said I encourage myself...not that I am at all times able to restrain myself!)...\'pink\' was announced as the winner of the best dance video award (or some other abomination of an award)...standing at the platform...she confirmed what I believed...she uttered those most dreadful words...\'What the hell am I doing up here?\' That is precisely the point...what the hell IS she doing up there? She played no role in the making of that product other than playing the superfluous role of a model...
    under such a principle...we should be apt to give praise to those depicted in the works of classical and contemporary painters...\'boy that mona lisa...what a fine painting she helped create!\' pathetic...
    MTV\'s showcase of the \'stars\' should be titled just that...perhaps THEN I wouldn\'t feel so guilty about watching the damn thing! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JPS

You\'re quite right JP.

Probably before your time but I remember Godley and Creme (well, I can\'t really remember their names, but it was someting like that - the two guys who used to be in 10cc - one of whom wrote a lot of great songs long before even that).

Anyway, a video they directed won an award - it wasn\'t their song, they weren\'t the \'artists\' (they\'d \'retired\' from music making; sort of).

They busted on to the stage and \'grabbed\' the gong (or whatever trinket they get for \'winning\'). I remember wishing at the time that more directors/producers should do the same; but hell, I doubt if they\'re even invited.

The same thing happens with movies except it\'s the writer who gets the short end of the stick and the director and the actors become the \'sole\' (soul?) creators in the eyes of the public. When some English geezer won the oscar for American Beauty (and beat out the superb Sixth Sense) because he looked like Orson Wells (before he became the size of a small Hamlet in the South of England) he actually \'became\' Orson Wells. The writer was, I suppose, responsible for sending the pieces of paper on which the great work would later be based.

The only thing I get really annoyed about is when I see Britney (a fat lady waiting to happen, I suspect) or some boy band, thanking god. It\'s not enough to have millions of fans and dollars: the supreme being (should one exist) is a fan!

The only thing I get really annoyed about is when I see Britney (a fat lady waiting to happen, I suspect) or some boy band, thanking god. It\'s not enough to have millions of fans and dollars: the supreme being (should one exist) is a fan!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That has got to be one of the funniest things I\'ve ever read on this forum.

Did anyone else see Michael Jackson receiving his little award in recognition of his 44th birthday? When B. Spears gave it to him he thanked everyone for giving him the \"Artist of the Millenium Award!\" [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Helllllooooo Michael...

What made it even funnier is that Jimmy Fallon came out right after with the same type of award that was just given to Jackson and said, \"Look, they gave me an artist of the millenium award also.\" \"In fact, they\'ve got a whole table full of them back here.\"

Isn\'t it time to finally accept Michael Jackson for the joke he is and stop toting his s around at these show as if he\'s still respectable.

[QUOTE \"they serve only as passive logo\'s\"[/QUOTE]

that is almost poetry....

Hey Z6

You are so right ! . Lol Creame and Kevin Godley of 10cc ( who nearly threw away the classic \" I,m not in love \" until they accidently played it back with out the dolby noise reduction system on , and turned it into the breathy other-worldley masterpiece it is ; who lost a small fortune devolping the \"GIZMO\" a set of six rotating rubber wheels on the bridge of a guitar so it could be \"bowed\" ) Turning there genuis to music videos ....what a pair

Ed Buller

Go Back to forum