• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Themes from "Pilot Mountain" and "West Stokes Alma Mater"

Share/Bookmark

Themes from "Pilot Mountain" and "West Stokes Alma Mater"

I have been experimenting using CineBrass Core and Finale together. These are not full compositions but simply themes of a much larger work depicting where I am from. The first is the theme from Pilot Mountain, North Carolina and the second is the West Stokes High School Alma Mater in King, NC in which I composed the music and wrote the words back in 2000.

Theme from Pilot Mountain https://app.box.com/s/0y50of7xv18nf2t0y4g4
    West Stokes Alma Mater https://app.box.com/s/l8jzs5iuox6syv9ha8wb (Update 4/1 because of trying to use trombones, tuba, and bass trombone at the beginning. I am trying to mellow them out and did not use them at first.)
    ~Rod

Re: Themes from "Pilot Mountain" and "West Stokes Alma Mater"

Interesting sounds in the CineBrass. Definitely a cinematic sound if I ever heard one. The "Pilot Mountain" theme you have written has a definite "Appalachian Spring" quality to it as does the Alma Mater for that matter. I like your writing and would love to hear a complete work of "Pilot Mountain". The Alma Mater is excellent. Was this for a new school that needed an Alma Mater or is this a replacement for an older Alma Mater? Either way it is very fitting.

I have to say I have driven past Pilot Mountain many times and would love to visit it some time. It stands out for many miles along the interstates as you come out of the Virginia mountains and head in on toward Salem, NC.

I assume this was done solely in Finale from what you said in your post. It does still have that "organ-like" effect to the wind players' sound. I know Human Playback has come a long way but it still lacking the real feel that live musicians give. I know because I work in Finale as well but get a much better rendition when I move the music to Sonar and tweak the midi CCs and timing.

Thanks for introducing me (at least) to the CineBrass and some good music writing as well.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

For anyone who wants to see the sheet music for the Alma Mater (well... the vocal parts.)

Both sounds very good, I like the Alma Mater most.
    Thanks

Ted

West Stokes Alma Mater https://app.box.com/s/l8jzs5iuox6syv9ha8wb (Updated 3/27 with some small horn changes near the end and an added 3rd to the top of the trumpet line on the last note.) I made this into a WAV file now. Does it make a difference or matter?
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Well you gotta be happy with the results you're getting with CineBrass, Rod. These sound great!

Randy
    I am trying Randy, I am trying. Thanks for listening and commenting. I did get Protools but I have been too scared to open it, lol. If I already placed the CineBrass folder in Finale to use the library, will I have to remove the file in the Finale folder and place it into Protools to use it there instead?

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Both sounds very good, I like the Alma Mater most.
    Thanks

Ted
    I understand. The Alma Mater's instrumentation and form sounds complete while the other is simply an unfinished theme.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Interesting sounds in the CineBrass. Definitely a cinematic sound if I ever heard one. The "Pilot Mountain" theme you have written has a definite "Appalachian Spring" quality to it as does the Alma Mater for that matter. I like your writing and would love to hear a complete work of "Pilot Mountain". The Alma Mater is excellent. Was this for a new school that needed an Alma Mater or is this a replacement for an older Alma Mater? Either way it is very fitting.

I have to say I have driven past Pilot Mountain many times and would love to visit it some time. It stands out for many miles along the interstates as you come out of the Virginia mountains and head in on toward Salem, NC.

I assume this was done solely in Finale from what you said in your post. It does still have that "organ-like" effect to the wind players' sound. I know Human Playback has come a long way but it still lacking the real feel that live musicians give. I know because I work in Finale as well but get a much better rendition when I move the music to Sonar and tweak the midi CCs and timing.

Thanks for introducing me (at least) to the CineBrass and some good music writing as well.
    Thank you so much for all of your comments Rich. It means a lot that you took the time to write all of your thoughts. Do you mean cinematic as "on the big screen" or your could "see pictures in your mind?" I am just curious and love to talk about music. I've never tried to go for the movie soundtrack sound when composing, but I've been known to think DCI Drum and Bugle Corps. I would love to hear a completed version of Pilot Mountain also, but I need to wait until July to get CineBrass Pro because CineBrass Core left out key samples like trombone and tuba solos plus they left out mutes. So hopefully soon. The Alma Mater was written for a new school in King. They contacted me because they felt that since I was from King I could give them that home filled theme song. I was so honored that I did not even charge them.

Ah yes! Pilot Mountain. In the videos you can see some great shots and also in the alma mater video you can see a picture of Pilot Mountain from the Saura Town Mountains. I have so many memories from Pilot Mountain. To keep it short, that place is like a cathedral to me and a symbol of hope, home, and accomplishing dreams.

I just got Protools but have not even cracked it open as of yet. Yes it was all done in Finale but this is this first time someone has said organ like in my renderings. Compositionally, I treat the brass like a living breathing pipe organ and the harmony is closed, but I don't personally hear the beats that you typically do when you hear the organ effect in some samples. But I do know Finale can only do so much so hopefully soon I will be doing renderings in the DAW. Thank you for your ears! I think this is about the best Finale and I can do concerning renderings together. I may be wrong though. I do have dynamics, crescendos, different tempo on almost every measure and selected beats, and no doubling of the instruments.

Thanks again Rich!
    ~Rod

Rod Said:
    I think this is about the best Finale and I can do concerning renderings together. I may be wrong though. I do have dynamics, crescendos, different tempo on almost every measure and selected beats, and no doubling of the instruments.
    Don't get me wrong on my comment. You did an excellent job in Finale. The organ-like effect (you are right) is partially due to your tight harmonies, but my biggest criticism of notation programs is that you have a much harder time getting each instrument to have it's own playing space. No two performers take a crescendo-decrescendo exactly the same way no matter how hard they try to play together. Each player has his own interpretation of the markings and how quickly the sound crescendos(or decrescendos) or how loud the loudest part of the dynamics or how soft the softest part. That is a player's interpretation of the signs and everyone is different. That lack of personal touch to each part is what I also call organ-like sound. That can be dealt with better in a DAW than a notation program.

And for others reading this, I know there are two (or more) schools of thought on Notation versus DAW renderings and I am not saying one is better than the other. I am saying that I can (most of the time) hear the difference between a Notation render and a DAW render. There are exceptions and the best notation controlling writer I have listened to is etLux who frequents this board occasionally now. He digs into the midi aspect of Finale and makes the music more life-like sounding.

BTW cinematic sound that I was referring to was in the type of sound quality in the brass. The brass does have that epic type of reverb associated with on the Big Screen. Your use of it was well done and the music itself is not what I would associate with being Cinematic (as heard on the Big Screen) but much more Symphonic.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast