• Register
  • Help

Topic: Backing up my files

Share/Bookmark

Backing up my files

Hi I have a bunch of projects, and I also have some important stuff on my PC.

I am concerned my system might crash sometime.

Does windows XP have a backup option. How could I make a regular Backup with XP.

Please shed some light in Here!!!

Caveman

Re: Backing up my files

Your best bet is to buy a 2nd hard drive, say maybe 10-20GB or so.. should be cheap. And then run the backup program that comes with WinXP. It\'s under Start->Programs->Accessories->System I believe.

Without getting into too much detail, you should first do one large backup of all the stuff you want to safeguard. After that, schedule a daily (or 3-day, or weekly, whichever you prefer) incremental backup--this will back up only the files that you\'ve modified.

This is the way my machine is set up. Now I don\'t worry about a thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If my system crashes or something, it\'s safe on the 2nd hard drive.

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Your best bet is to buy a 2nd hard drive, say maybe 10-20GB or so.. should be cheap. And then run the backup program that comes with WinXP. It\'s under Start->Programs->Accessories->System I believe.

Without getting into too much detail, you should first do one large backup of all the stuff you want to safeguard. After that, schedule a daily (or 3-day, or weekly, whichever you prefer) incremental backup--this will back up only the files that you\'ve modified.

This is the way my machine is set up. Now I don\'t worry about a thing [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If my system crashes or something, it\'s safe on the 2nd hard drive.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

This topic is something I\'ve been mulling over as well, but my needs are a little more complicated.

I have about 100 gigs to backup on my giga p.c. , and another 120 gig on my Mac.
    I will also probably be purchasing 2 more giga p.c.\'s and another Mac soon.

I have decided that an external firewire device would make the most sense since I could share the device with all of the p/c/\'s and Macs that I own.

But I\'m not sure if I should go with;

1 hard-drives

2 some type of tape based storage, (e.g.VST) etc.or..

3 DVD rw.

It seems that DVD might be the most cost effective since media prices have dropped considerably, but I am concerned about speed and reliability.

Thoughts anyone?

Originally posted by MDesigner:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum