• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it possible to program a crossfade program that does this??

Share/Bookmark

Is it possible to program a crossfade program that does this??

I\'d like to program a 4 later crossfade consisting of muted violins, p violins, mf violings, and f violins. I woiuld like the p-f violins to do a regular crossfade as I move up the mod wheel. I would like the muted strings to be heard layered with all of the other 3 layers, but simply perform a volume crescendo following the mod wheel. Is this possible?

Also, I still can\'t figure out how to program a single layer inst. to simply perform a volume crescendo triggered by the mod wheel. How do I do that??

Thanks

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Is it possible to program a crossfade program that does this??

Originally posted by scores4film:
    I\'d like to program a 4 later crossfade consisting of muted violins, p violins, mf violings, and f violins. I woiuld like the p-f violins to do a regular crossfade as I move up the mod wheel. I would like the muted strings to be heard layered with all of the other 3 layers, but simply perform a volume crescendo following the mod wheel. Is this possible?

Also, I still can\'t figure out how to program a single layer inst. to simply perform a volume crescendo triggered by the mod wheel. How do I do that??

Thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You need Dave Govett\'s new tutorial set. I have been working with Giga almost as long as anyone around, and I learned a new trick or two myself. Everything is completely laid out from scratch.

I\'ve never tried to do exactly what you\'re doing, but I don\'t think you would have a problem. Just use a layering methodology and program each layer to behave as you wish. You\'ll have an \"extra\" layer left over, in fact, since you won\'t be able to do a 3-layer instrument with the current dimension UI, so you can get even more creative...

Don\'t forget, if it gets too frustrating you can also split into multiple instruments, and just link them on multiple MIDI channels or ports.

And your simple volume crescendo is an easy one. Assign \"attenuation control\" to Mod Wheel (it\'s on the Mix/Layer tab).

Good luck.

Hi

Just combine the muted, p violins, m violins and f violins patches into a new combined instrument. (you have to combine them in pairs: first the muted + p / then the m and f / then LASTLY the two resulting \"new combined instruments\"). Remember to select \"Layer\", not \"Mod wheel\" when combining.

Then you end up with a 4-layer instrument.

now select all layers and all regions, and chose the mod wheel as your attenuation controller in the mix/layer tab (bottom right of the screen).

The crossfades (in the same mix/layer tab) should be set somthing like this:

LAYER_______XFADE IN__________________XFADE OUT
    mute________000>127___________________127>127
    p___________000>40_____________________40>70
    m____________40>80_____________________80>127
    f____________70>127____________________127>127

Now attenuate the p layer by around 14 dbs (top left of the MIX/LAYER tab), and the m by about 7 dbs. Also attenuate the mute layer to taste, so its mixed with the regular violin sound as you like.

Good luck!!

PS: fiddle with the layer Xfades till you like what you hear

You can download the free lesson from the GigaStudio mastery that covers just that feature, the crossfade layering. www.davidgovett.com
    It\'s about 14 megs though but would be very helpful if you have not figured out that tool.

Leon is on target as far as I can tell by his numbers also. What you wish to do is very doable.
    The free lesson might help you out if you can download it.
    Take care
    David Govett

Go Back to forum