• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Sonar

Hi,

as nobody replys in Software issues section, I hope someone here will. I switched to Sonar from another sequencer recetnly, Sonar is fine, but I found two annoying problems:

1. When I click stop button, the time ruler stays on its place. It\'s OK for some situations, but in most situations I\'d like the ruler to return to the place where I clicked play button. It\'s really anoying to re-click the ruler manually back every time when I arrange and so repeately play (but not loop, of course) some specific part of the score and try several variations and instruments.
    I suppose Cakewalk is able of this function, because other even cheap sequencers are, but I didn\'t figure out how. So, please, could somone help?

2. When I\'m recording - no notes are displaying! Only when the recording is finished - then all the notes appear afterwards. It makes recording \"blind\" and very uncomfortable. Is it some bug? Again - even primitive sequencers are able of displaying in real time during recording, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Sonar

both of these are addressed in SONAR 3, are you on SONAR 2.x?

Yes, 2. I can\'t use 3 because it doesn\'t work in Win 98 :-(. (I really don\'t want to switch to XP, \'cos many older applications run fine on 98 but not XP)

Originally posted by PetN:
    Hi,

as nobody replys in Software issues section, I hope someone here will. I switched to Sonar from another sequencer recetnly, Sonar is fine, but I found two annoying problems:

1. When I click stop button, the time ruler stays on its place. It\'s OK for some situations, but in most situations I\'d like the ruler to return to the place where I clicked play button. It\'s really anoying to re-click the ruler manually back every time when I arrange and so repeately play (but not loop, of course) some specific part of the score and try several variations and instruments.
    I suppose Cakewalk is able of this function, because other even cheap sequencers are, but I didn\'t figure out how. So, please, could somone help?

2. When I\'m recording - no notes are displaying! Only when the recording is finished - then all the notes appear afterwards. It makes recording \"blind\" and very uncomfortable. Is it some bug? Again - even primitive sequencers are able of displaying in real time during recording, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">A. 1> Try Loop/Auto Shuttle feature under the Transport full-down list. To specify the exact Start/stop range: In track panel, use drag-mouse to highlight it (range) then right-click on the time ruler section, choose the Auto Shuttle option...It does what you needed. I use the inserted markers most of time.

A. 2> ??? You are talking about MIDI notes? Most of sequencers donot interpret the MIDI Notations at Recording time...Try Piano Roll or MIDI Event view.

Hope this helps,
    LongStudio

hi

\"on stop rewind to now marker\" look for this under options/global

now if you want to change the behavior just press ctrl+space instead

Petn,

Sonar 3.0 only has that feature when you want to return to the entry of your recording. This is for multi take purposes which facilitates the request.

Alan Russell

Thank you for the replies,
    so the only way are markers and Auto shuttle, I see..

A. 2: Yes, about staff view. However, I\'ve heard that Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 - less professional product than Sonar 2 XL, displays notes in real-time. Also my previous sequencer did.

Originally posted by PetN:
    Yes, 2. I can\'t use 3 because it doesn\'t work in Win 98 :-(. (I really don\'t want to switch to XP, \'cos many older applications run fine on 98 but not XP)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">one possibility is a dual boot strategy. Run Win98 and WinXP on the same system, and use apps that are WinXP friendly on WinXP. This is how I made the transition.

Go Back to forum