• Register
  • Help

Topic: Metamorphosis: Giga or Akai?

Share/Bookmark

Metamorphosis: Giga or Akai?

Anybody know if there is any real advantage to getting the metamorphosis library in giga format as opposed to akai? If I get it in akai I can use it in my emu if I want, or extract the loops and use them as audio in DP, but I\'d hate to miss out on any cool features for giga. Giga is my primary sampler these days, but I like keeping my options open.

TIA

john

Re: Metamorphosis: Giga or Akai?

Yeah...it\'s great in Giga and really cleanly laid out with the Groove menus working properly. Highly recommended.....(our only GIGA native product actually)

If you need the Akai version too, call the salesguys at ILIO and they will work with you on a Dual-License.

spectrum

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by John DeBorde:
    Anybody know if there is any real advantage to getting the metamorphosis library in giga format as opposed to akai? If I get it in akai I can use it in my emu if I want, or extract the loops and use them as audio in DP, but I\'d hate to miss out on any cool features for giga. Giga is my primary sampler these days, but I like keeping my options open.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi John,

The loops are already extracted for you and ready to go!! As Eric says, it\'s pretty darn awesome in Giga format. This library is one of the best price/feature values around, and the Groove Control stuff is a powerhouse.

If you\'re into drum pads, one of the VERY coolest things you can do is re-edit multiple Groove Control files into multi-velocity \"drum kits\" you can play with sticks!! Friggin\' AWESOME.

And possible, thanks to the fact that Eric\'s library is editable on GigaStudio in every regard...just thought I\'d toss that in there, hehe. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by John DeBorde:
    , or extract the loops and use them as audio in DP,
    john
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">..also the Metamorphosis library comes with the wave files already extracted on the CD. Great convenience factor there.

-david abraham

I was going to call spectrasonics..but I\'ll post here to clear up a question.

So when I see \"Akai,(giga software sampler compatible)\" for many great CD-Rom samples ,that means it\'s Akai format?

I\'m worried I\'m going to lose info when I convert to giga. I was planning on using translator , but I heard it\'s not perfect.

Originally posted by birdwizard:
    I was going to call spectrasonics..but I\'ll post here to clear up a question.

So when I see \"Akai,(giga software sampler compatible)\" for many great CD-Rom samples ,that means it\'s Akai format?

I\'m worried I\'m going to lose info when I convert to giga. I was planning on using translator , but I heard it\'s not perfect.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can\'t directly comment on all of the Spectrasonics/Translator conversions, but I spent some time working back and forth with Garth to eliminate bugs in the conversions for both Symphony of Voices and for Vocal Planet. We ironed out a great many, and this benefited all of the Akai conversions as well. Garth put a great many hours of effort into it.

Both of these libraries now convert very well, and as far as I can tell, the programming comes across just fine.

One thing you need to be aware of is the importance and relationship of Akai Volumes to GIG files. Don\'t make the mistake of converting each individual instrument to GIG, or you\'ll be writing countless duplicate samples to hard disk. Instead, go up one level, so that you\'re converting all the related instruments (that is, all that share a common sample pool--you\'ll be able to tell) to a single GIG file. This will give you a 1:1 size ratio from Akai to GIG, instead of ballooning the size many times over.

I forget now whether it is Symphony of Voices or Vocal Planet, but you will find one single case in one of those where there is a duplicate file name within a single GIG. It\'s easy to fix, and once you\'ve done the other conversions, you\'ll figure it out very easily.

I can\'t vouch directly for any of the other conversions, or the conversion success of other applications, but I can tell you without qualification that these two convert successfully via Translator.

Also, be sure to enable the option to combine the dual mono L + R files into stereo. This will greatly enhance the ease of editing if you decide to get under the hood and do your own custom tweaks.

Go Back to forum