• Register
  • Help

Topic: Call to sample developers

Share/Bookmark

Call to sample developers

I\'ve been thinking lately that it would be really great if sample library developers would sell individual instruments out of their libraries. For instance, a single guitar from the Hans Zimmer library or just the solo violin from Platinum. Many times I find my self wanting a specific sound but not having the dough to ante up for the entire library. I know Kirk Hunter does this and WizooSounds as well. Perhaps we\'d see less piracy if for say $50.00 a person could buy the one sound he/she really wants. Also these sounds could be downloaded saving the shipping etc. Just a thought..

Darren

Re: Call to sample developers

Originally posted by dpasdernick:
    I\'ve been thinking lately that it would be really great if sample library developers would sell individual instruments out of their libraries. For instance, a single guitar from the Hans Zimmer library or just the solo violin from Platinum. Many times I find my self wanting a specific sound but not having the dough to ante up for the entire library. I know Kirk Hunter does this and WizooSounds as well. Perhaps we\'d see less piracy if for say $50.00 a person could buy the one sound he/she really wants. Also these sounds could be downloaded saving the shipping etc. Just a thought..

Darren
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You can get a single C from the White Grand for free...!!!
    Seriously, I think this is a great idea and SampleTekk will probably do tis with future releases that can be suitable for this.

The biggest problem with that (and developers know this) is that amongst the jewels there are also quite a bit of duds. If users could purchase only the instruments that they are interested in, I think developers would see a huge drop in profit. I think the best we can hope for is the \"lite\" libraries that have been coming out lately.

Maybe. Then again it might allow many more people to buy in an instrument at a time as they can use or afford them. I think evidence of that must come from the outstanding SAM libraries.

I know one guy who is thirsty for the VSL performance flute but doesn\'t want the rest yet. If it was released seperately that would be a profit and the superb quality of the instrument would probably have him desperate for another. If you think about it, it wouldn\'t be a loss for the Vienna team, it would be a sale.

I think it might work, but they\'d have to be priced so that the full version is a much better deal. If the solo flute is only %5 of the full version is should be priced at %10... I would definately buy more stuff this way, and you get a chance to know how a developer sets up the samples and such.

I also vote yes...

Don\'t have the cash for VSL... even with Gary\'s deal, but it would be sweet to play with some of their solo strings, at least until the Garritan solo string lib is ready...

Yannitch, I think if you were to have the option of buying individual parts the cost would be WAY more than double.

What is the percent of the solo flute in the VSL? .05% or less. I\'ll bet it would have to go for $100.

But I don\'t know. In the graphics world a plug-in set might be $300 for 20 plugs. 1 plug is $79.

Originally posted by midphase:
    The biggest problem with that (and developers know this) is that amongst the jewels there are also quite a bit of duds.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Then I would question a developer\'s willingness to release anything with duds in it. There have been many times when I\'ve wanted that great guitar sound -- or whatever -- and haven\'t been able to find it without a lot of baggage attached.

Being able to download it separately for a smaller fee is a very attractive prospect. Some of the \"lower level\" developers are already doing this.

Then I would question a developer\'s willingness to release anything with duds in it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ho hum...yeah, right! Duds are not necessarily bad mind you, it\'s just that they don\'t get used the majority of the time. A good example would be some obscure alternate way of playing an instrument that just doesn\'t really appeal to most people. I think on the average I end up using less than 50% of the libraries I own. This is not necessarily the developer\'s fault, sometime I just have a better oboe from another library than from the one I recently purchased. It can be quite personal, but if you took a poll of which sounds people use the most from the popular titles out there, I bet there would be a lot of the same responses!

Hi,

I can see if these are downloadable sounds or if you have only a few instruments to handle that way. However, the more single instruments that a manufacturer has to sell for low cost, the more expensive it is for the manufacturer. For non-downloadable sounds, there is the extra cost of different packaging. They need to allow for the programming on the website secure shopping system for that item as well as the disk space (Imagine the hard drives required if Soundsonline had all of their titles separated into separate instruments). That gets extremely expensive when you\'re talking volume.

For non-downloadable instruments, the cost in extra packaging may drive the price up to a point where it isn\'t feasible. In order to keep the packaging costs down, the packaging must be ordered in bulk. That means that they have to sell many copies of that one instrument in order to recover the costs and make money. You\'re more guaranteed to sell a set of samples as it is now than a single instrument, especially if there are many different choices in the market (ie Soundsonline sells their \"Anderson Strat\" guitar sample (from QL Guitar) as a single instrument. How many copies will they sell since it is an old library and there are many different guitar samples available today?

The other issue is piracy (I believe) in regards to downloadable sounds.

I\'m not trying to say that I\'m against being able to buy only the instruments that you want. I\'m trying to play devil\'s advocate a little and present a different point of view that may possibly be shared by the manufacturers themselves.

Oh well, I just figured I\'d throw a little bit of a spin.

FV

Go Back to forum