• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Dissonance Theory"

Share/Bookmark

"The Dissonance Theory"

My composition instructor encouraged me to try writing a piece for piano without a melody. This is what I came up with.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...e%20Theory.mp3

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...e%20Theory.pdf

At times I felt like someone just throwing mud at the wall and see what sticks...ARGH!!!!
    (and please don't ask me if I can play it...I was never that good at playing this type of music...)
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: "The Dissonance Theory"

Mitch, I'm adding an experimental reply to your new thread about your experimental music.

You posted this at the MM Garritan Forum, and I was very glad to see it there - Thanks again! - The experiment is to share via C&P my post and your reply from there. I thought it was a pretty good back and forth:

ME: Mitch! I was prepared for something Much more dissonant than this. It has recognizable chords, recognizable progressions, lots of classic western music theory going on under the hood here - I THANK YOU for this not being a "cat walking across piano keys" piece, because I'm so weary of that kind of noise. But this had traditional harmony, solid rhythm, and was much more interesting than music which really is made by "throwing mud at the wall."

In short - I like it. Are you sure this is what your compositional instructor had in mine? He/she didn't mean something more outside of traditional theory?

Randy

MITCH: Thanks Randy. I will find out next Tuesday what my instructor thinks but I hope this is what he had in mind. ;-) (wink smiley we don't have here)

(By the way, I try to avoid throwing mud around as much as possible...hehehe)

Well, Mitch, strikes me that you could have missed your instructors point. If I were teaching, and gave such an assignment or challenge, it would be to illustrate that it can not be be done, and the simple reason is that once you have produced two or more musical sound in succession, you have produced a melody, however primitive or unpleasant it may seem to you. It matters not whether single tones or chords, the principle is valid. I don't understand what you mean by the Dissonance Theory in relation to the topic.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, Mitch, strikes me that you could have missed your instructors point. If I were teaching, and gave such an assignment or challenge
    Richard
    Thanks for the input Richard. I understand your point but my instructor is simply trying to encourage me to move beyond the standard I, IV, V, I stereotype music I normally write. As he and I have discussed in private lessons I am very aware that my style of music is often limited. My 34+ years in the computer industry where everything must be precise and structured has been carried over into my works and may be holding me back from expanding my musical imagination. Pieces and assignments like "The Dissonance Theory" is one attempt to help me break out of the mold. As for the title, well I had to call it something...

Mitch
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

The only dissonance is the title of this entry. Now you have made this one, beyond the standard I,IV,..... do this more often. For this piece, until 1:44 this gave me some good feeling, next your are drifting away with some senseless keypressing, at 2:43 you resume with some real freshness, ending the piece (some distortion is heard) by Sebastian Beethoven........

In total, nice piece,

Raymond

I give it an 8 out of 10 cause its got a good beat and I can dance to it! (however, knocked over the coffee table in the process ). Very nice.
    Steve Wisnoski

Quote Originally Posted by stevewisnoski View Post
    I give it an 8 out of 10 cause its got a good beat and I can dance to it! (however, knocked over the coffee table in the process ). Very nice.
    Ouch! That must have hurt...(listening to my music that is...)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    , ending the piece (some distortion is heard) by Sebastian Beethoven........

In total, nice piece,

Raymond
    Yah, that distortion is an issue with my soundcard lately. May be time for an upgrade.

Actually, I found that trying to use two separate Steinway Piano VSTs, one for treble clef and one for bass cause the distortion problem. I was trying to tone down the bass in certain areas because Finale was not giving the treble clef enough volume at times.

Go Back to forum