• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basie Does It

Share/Bookmark

Basie Does It

I worked on this during the long winter days (we are still experiencing, ugh). I wrote the piece in January and have been working on it ever since. It is a jazz swing tune that reminded me of the Basie Band (maybe not so much how it was played but the style of the piece.

The sax parts were played by me. The trumpet and trombone parts were played by my brother. I recorded the sax parts in my studio and my brother recorded the brass parts in his studio. I then combined them with JaBB3 piano, guitar, and bass plus Bari Sax and Bass Trombone. I don't have a Bari and my brother doesn't have a Bass Trombone. The drums were done in Session Drummer 3 which is a dream to work with.

My brother did have problems with distortion on the brass parts. Even though the sound levels did not reach clipping point in any of the wave files, some of the parts overpowered either the mic or his mixer (I'm not sure exactly what caused the problems and we are both miffed as to why there is distortion. Maybe someone has an idea on a probable cause for this.)

Anyway, it is listenable and it was great fun to do a project like this and put it together in Sonar X2. I apologize for the lead tenor part as my chops are not as good as they used to be.

Enjoy the Swing tune Basie Does It.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Basie Does It

Happy to be the first...... really a great piece of music and now with real players...... I enjoyed it very much. About the distortion, I can hear it, but don't have a clue what caused it. No clipping in the mic or mixer? How about the reverb plug? I use Altiverb and sometimes the input/output comes out distorted.

Anyway, it still is a welldone cooperation between brothers in brass.

Raymond

Raymond, thank you for those kind comments. The piece was fun to write and even more fun to play.

You said:
    About the distortion, I can hear it, but don't have a clue what caused it. No clipping in the mic or mixer?
    I think my brother finally figured out the problem. He was setting the gain input from the mic to the mixer too high. The mic was overloading the mixer channel and distorting right there before being sent on to Sonar. He tried a couple of test recordings yesterday and found no distortion. I will probably be replacing the distorted tracks with clean tracks as soon as he gets them finished.

Rich

Since I am a trumpet player, I am always a bit distorted anyways.

I think it is a nice piece my brother has created, a nice tribute to the 'Count' and the music he played.

It's hard to find good help these days especially with the musician's pay scale as low as it is.

best regards and Rich, a nice mix-down with some poor quality recordings. Dam those brass players!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey Rich! I think the mix of real instruments and sampled instruments worked well. I don't think that it really captures the Basie sound but it is reminiscent of that era of big band. I think that it is a very good job and I did enjoy listening to your piece. Thanks for posting. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...I think my brother finally figured out the problem. He was setting the gain input from the mic to the mixer too high. The mic was overloading the mixer channel and distorting right there before being sent on to Sonar...
    What a sweeeet project - So cool that you bros are collaborating. I enjoyed a lot - sounds like it must've been a blast to work on.

I was reading through the thread, thought I had a good theory about why there's some distortion (but it's not all that bad, guys) - and I see you arrived at the same conclusion I was going to post. That has to be it. Signal is already too hot and distorted before it gets to Sonar. So Bill's using a mixer instead of an audio interface? The latter is easier for setting levels, but of course it's cool to have a good old fashioned mixer too - just makes things more complicated when going into a computer.

Rich, I notice you used an electric bass instead of the traditional stand up bass, and it's really up front, pop style instead of the more stepped-back sound of traditional jazz. Sounds fine, I just noticed the pop approach you used and wanted to ask about it.

You guys are great - Thanks for the music!

Randy

Jay,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, it is more indicative of the time period and really doesn't have that Basie type chord structure (especially in the cadence point at the end of a piece which is his signature) but it reminded me of Basie and hence the title. If Basie can do it, why not me.

The comments are well taken, thanks.

Randy,

I appreciate the fine comments. As usual, you are spot on in your analysis. Bill uses the mixer to connect to his mic and than connects the mixer to his sound card. He has an older system and he feels he has more control over the input that way. I use a mixer, but my mixer has the sound card built into it (the Mackie Onyx Firewire in the Onyx 1640 mixer). My mixer has phantom power and I am able to use some better mics for my recording.

As for the bass, again you are absolutely correct. I dropped the JaBB instruments in way back in January (seems like a ton of snow ago ) and forgot about it. I should have switched the Electric Bass for the upright and that slipped my mind when I got going on the recording aspect. When I get the trumpet and bone parts from my brother without distortion than I will change the Bass as well.

Again, Thanks for the comments.

Rich

Hi Rich,

This is really great, not only the Basie music, but also the way you and your brother created it. It proves that it is quite well possible to blend real and virtual instruments (although we already knew that) in a very decent recording. That ran into some recording or editing problems is probably normal, but they don't bother me.

I enjoyed it a lot. Great fun!

Max

Go Back to forum