• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Kontakt for the Mac

Share/Bookmark

OT: Kontakt for the Mac

In case anyone of you is interested, NI Kontakt is finally shipping for the Mac.

NI also announced that in November they will release an upgrade that will enable disk streaming of the samples.

It can import Gigasample, EXS, Akai, HALion and SD2 files.

I\'ll be curious what kind of reaction Kontakt will receive on the Mac being the only other soft sampler aside from Unity Session to be sequencer independent?

Re: OT: Kontakt for the Mac

I think Kontakt on the Mac will have a great reception. It\'s really a great product. A few bugs need to be worked out and the Gigasampler/GigaStudio import needs to be perfected somewhat (Currently dimensions do not load properly). The last I spoke with NI when doing the latest Kontakt review on Sonic Control, they mentioned that the 1.1 update will address the Giga issue. Hard disc streaming will also be in place within about 7 or 8 weeks from what I am hearing.

The great thing about Kontakt is that it will run either as a plug-in (VST or DXi) or you can run it stand-alone which is perfect if you are planning to dedicate a machine to it (especially nice once hard disc streaming is working).

Ryan.

Just saw a demo of it last night. They say it will import .gigs and all features but one, and that is minor. The editor is much easier to understand, that is for sure: too bad it cannot export to .gig. Maybe Chicken Systems will fix that little problem. Seemed slick. Low latency too. But costs more than a Gigastudio. I saw the PC version, which is the only thing I am interested in. Be interesting where all this heads...

finally...been waiting for this for a long time...

-david abraham

Doyle, do you know if it has to convert all .GIG files, or if it just creates a new data-file which points to the .GIG files for samples?

But costs more than a Gigastudio. I saw the PC version, which is the only thing I am interested in. Be interesting where all this heads...

I really like the crossgrade option that NI is offering existing soft-sampler users: they\'ll let you cross grade for around $230usd and you don\'t have to \"turn in\" your existing soft-sampler to do so. Checking the Nemesys store page the 160 voice version of Giga is selling for $699 while Kontakt should be retailing for about $399 (the same as the 96 voice version of GigaStudio).

Then again, if GigaS comes out in a new version with that copy protection we have been hearing about, and libraries show up using it, will Kontakt be able to load THOSE libs?

One would hope so! I can\'t see libraries that are \"locked\" to using one platform. God forbid that Giga should stop being produced in the future, what would happen to everyone who spent thousands on libraries that could only be used on in one locked program? All theoretically speaking, of course. I hope the Giga platform is here to stay for a while.

I\'ll be doing more tests with the new v1.1 update of Kontakt that was released today, especially concerning the Giga import bugs that are supposed to be fixed in this most recent and posting the results on the Kontakt forum

We\'re also accepting any questions/proposed tests with various libraries from different platforms for v1.1 and beyond to further determine what can or can\'t be done, or what needs improvement. If anyone has anything that they would like to contribute, feel free to post.

Ryan.

Hey Ryan, thanks for the review. I\'m glad I\'m not the only one who can\'t read the file names at 12x7!

Simon, It converts the gigs, complete with it\'s own copy of the entire sample pool.

Bill

Then again, if GigaS comes out in a new version with that copy protection we have been hearing about, and libraries show up using it, will Kontakt be able to load THOSE libs? Will Nemesis license the CP? If Kontakt people figure it out on their own, would that be legal? Questions questions for the restless youth of today...
    There is a demo version of all the NI (and WAVES) stuff: I know because I just got two CDs of demos.

Does v1.1 accept patch changes?

Why not get the demo and try it?

Go Back to forum