• Register
  • Help

Topic: Akai conversion w/o redundant samples (Bruce?)

Share/Bookmark

Akai conversion w/o redundant samples (Bruce?)

Bruce (anyone), in the topic I started about Metamorphosis, giga vs akai, you mentioned a technique for creating .gigs w/o duplicating redundant sample data.

I\'ve now noticed that several of my akai conversions are gigantic in size, but I can\'t figure out how to redo them w/o the bloat. I tried using \"combine to gig\" but i don\'t think that did it.

TIA

Re: Akai conversion w/o redundant samples (Bruce?)

I dont know if this is what Bruce is talking about or what you particularly mean but sometimes in akai versions there are alot of the same sounds but done in lighter versions.

For instance if you take Spectrasonics \"Symphony of Voices\" you will have London Males Aahs A, London Males Aahs B, London Males Aahs C, London Males Aahs D. If you check the size of the samples after converting you will find that \"A\" is usually the larger sample. B, C, and D are lighter versions. Just delete whichever sound you need. I usually keep the large sample and delete the light versions. This will free up alot of space on your hard drive.

Just going out on a limb though. Not sure if this is quite what you mean.

If I remember the thread, Bruce was saying you should convert the Akai libs at the folder level.

Put the CD in the drive, Then start Giga. Select the folder (or the entire CD,) and select Convert to Gig. This eliminates redundancy. Not sure how, but I do this with the ProSamples disks, and it works great (usually...)

Dasher

That was actually what did not work for me. I ran the converter at the disk level on DR2 recently, and ended up w/ over 2GB of .gigs from the 2CDs. I went thru again w/ translater (so I could see the actual samples) and didn\'t see much sample duplication at all. I was randomly poking around tho, so maybe i missed the presets that share samples.

Ahh, now I understand. I don\'t know Chicken Systems or Translator, but I use the Giga conversion from the program. And it doesn\'t combine libs that share samples, I have to do that myself, but I don\'t see any duplicate samples in any of my ProSamples conversions-of course these are limited sets...

Bruce, are you out there? Can you help John out? (I know he\'s got to do his job SOMETIME, yet it seems he\'s here a lot-thank you...)

Dasher

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    Ahh, now I understand. I don\'t know Chicken Systems or Translator, but I use the Giga conversion from the program. And it doesn\'t combine libs that share samples, I have to do that myself, but I don\'t see any duplicate samples in any of my ProSamples conversions-of course these are limited sets...

Bruce, are you out there? Can you help John out? (I know he\'s got to do his job SOMETIME, yet it seems he\'s here a lot-thank you...)

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My experience with Translator is converting the Folder level to Gig, as you mention. These generally do a great job.

FWIW, 2 GB from a set of two CDs may not be too bloated, depending on the mapping and organization of the original library. So much depends upon that...not all Akai libraries are going to convert super-efficiently without some manual examination and vetting of the underlying waveforms.

Go Back to forum