• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale 2014 and Kontakt 5

Share/Bookmark

Finale 2014 and Kontakt 5

Hello everybody! Long time no see!

This weekend I took the plunge and purchased a new sound library (Virtual Drum Line) and upgraded my Finale 2011 to 2014. I am having an issue getting Finale 2014 to recognize the Kontakt 5.dll. I was able to get it working with 2011 yesterday, but just upgraded to 2014 today. I've tried putting both the 32 bit and 64 bit in the VST directory (C:\ProgramData\MakeMusic\Finale2014\VST Support), but it does not seem to be detected by Finale. Unfortunately, the library I have does not work with Kontakt 2, so I cannot use that.

I was getting very frustrated, as this is something I have been working on all weekend, but I have found the piano-reduction tool in Finale 2014, so that is keeping me entertained. Nothing like listening to a percussion ensemble converted to a not-so-playable piano reduction

Thanks for any advice you guys have, I'll keep poking around and let you know if I figure anything out...while listening to piano reductions of my music.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Finale 2014 and Kontakt 5

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    ...I was able to get it working with 2011 yesterday, but just upgraded to 2014 today...
    I was getting very frustrated, as this is something I have been working on all weekend...
    Well, it's always a tricky proposition, to upgrade software in the middle of a project. OK, that being said - I don't really know what the current status is of all the catching up MM has done with Finale 2014, but it would appear to have probably been their most problematic upgrade ever. I don't know if they've yet worked all the way through the long list of glitches that cropped up with this release. But it sounds to me like what you've encountered, Michael, has to be on that list - and that they haven't fixed that particular issue yet.

My humble advice is that since 2011 was working for you with what you want to use - I think you should dial back to 2011 and get the show on. Then, look in on progress of Finale 2014 as it's fixed, and then don't really upgrade until the smoke clears.

Randy

Thanks Randy for your suggestion! I have done that before, where I upgrade in the middle of a project, or just before I'd like to start one, and I usually get caught up in all the software updates, that I lose motivation on the project. This time, since I'm not really in the middle of a project, I figured it would be a good time to upgrade since I could focus entirely on the software upgrade instead of some project

If nothing else, I may just go back to 2011 for now. I did find, however, that my library works with Kontakt 4 as well, so I will see if that works any better. On the plus side, to me at least, 2014 seems to start up more quickly and generally just feels more stable (possibly because it officially supports 64 bit and I've been running Windows 7 x64), so I am definitely looking forward to using it.

I may report this to MakeMusic in the next day or two if I cannot resolve the issue, just to be sure they are made aware of it, but I wanted to try here first since I feel more at home here

Thanks again, Randy!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I seem to have been able to fix the issue by simply adding a directory for vst plugins through Midi/Audio -> Device Setup -> Manage Plugin Directories.

It worked once I added the directory that contained the 32-bit version of Kontakt 5 (despite it not working when placing the .dll directly in the VST Support folder of Finale's Program Data directory.

Go figure!

Well it works, so I'm happy, hopefully my frustration helps someone else out in the future!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    ...It worked once I added the directory that contained the 32-bit version of Kontakt 5 (despite it not working when placing the .dll directly in the VST Support folder of Finale's Program Data directory...
    Ah ha - Sounds like Finale wouldn't accept anything but the original installation location for the .dll file. That could be a Kontakt thing - In Sonar, I've had a few things which would only work if I added their original location to the list of folders to scan, since Sonar would reject .dll copies placed in the VST folder. Usually the copies work, 99%+ of the time in fact.

Glad you got it working.

Randy

Go Back to forum