• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT : great halls

Share/Bookmark

OT : great halls

for years i have always taken for granted
    what goes into making a great classical recording/performance.
    attending concerts and not having a clue as to what goes into the artchitecture of the hall. this all changed when i got into VSL (and soon EWSL)
    recently i saw the atlanta symphony orchestra perform the \"rite of spring\" at the WOODRUFF ARTS CENTER .
    the perfomance, of course blew me away. what i found most fasicnating was that at certain tutti moments its was like to whole room was \"resonating\" its hard to describe but i think thats the best word. the sound has very
    spacious and much louder then i expected the recording i am use to is a 1977 karajan recording with the berlin philharmonic.(remastered) which sounds very \"tight\" to me.( i think it was done in a studio).
    another thing was that i heard everything with great clarity.
    after this performance i began to ask myself.
    what makes a great sounding hall?
    what goes into the design of a great hall?
    what do engineering gurus like dr. johnson look for in a hall?
    since we can\'t know where the EWQL libray was recorded. we do know it ws done at the second choice . so what was their 1st choice?
    does any one know any light or introductory reading and any of this?
    your thoughts on this?

Re: OT : great halls

Originally posted by mike harper:
    for years i have always taken for granted
    what goes into making a great classical recording/performance.
    attending concerts and not having a clue as to what goes into the artchitecture of the hall. this all changed when i got into VSL (and soon EWSL)
    recently i saw the atlanta symphony orchestra perform the \"rite of spring\" at the WOODRUFF ARTS CENTER .
    the perfomance, of course blew me away. what i found most fasicnating was that at certain tutti moments its was like to whole room was \"resonating\" its hard to describe but i think thats the best word. the sound has very
    spacious and much louder then i expected the recording i am use to is a 1977 karajan recording with the berlin philharmonic.(remastered) which sounds very \"tight\" to me.( i think it was done in a studio).
    another thing was that i heard everything with great clarity.
    after this performance i began to ask myself.
    what makes a great sounding hall?
    what goes into the design of a great hall?
    what do engineering gurus like dr. johnson look for in a hall?
    since we can\'t know where the EWQL libray was recorded. we do know it ws done at the second choice . so what was their 1st choice?
    does any one know any light or introductory reading and any of this?
    your thoughts on this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ask an acoustic engineer, they get around $100,000 a year for such knowledge.

Wanna have that \'similar\' resonance in your own reality? Get QLSO and a nice 5.1 setup!! It\'s so inspiring! Almost too inspiring! I just wanna play all day and not get any work finished [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum