• Register
  • Help

Topic: Call for help - could anyone donate?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Call for help - could anyone donate?

As previously announced, we will be launching a new Orchestration Challenge soon. We'd really like to get some decent interest going and thus more traffic on the forum. To that end, I am seeking the help of anyone who could make a small donation of something for a prize. It can be goods such as a piece of kit that you have lying around unused, a book or CD, or offering a service such as recording a vocal or instrumental, or otherwise donating time to work on a project.

Randy Bowser has already offered a free copy of his excellent auto harp instrument for Aria (a $10 value). I am going to chip in to offer an hour or two of my time to either record a piano solo, or contribute to a project by doing real-time recording of any GPO instruments for those that work in notation and want a little extra realism injected into their recording.

If we get a number of such smaller prizes, we could even offer first and second prizes - maybe even a third prize.

Please let me know either by replying to this thread or by private message. Any donations, no matter how small, would help sweeten the deal and hopefully liven up the forum once again.

Many thanks, my friends
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Question Re: Call for help - could anyone donate?

Owen,
    yours is a noble initiative and I'm glad for people being still so active to keep our community alive.

By the way my first question should be: did you and Randy contact the MM marketing??? and/or Gary?
    ...any answers?

Sounds a bit weird to me the community donating to keep alive a promotional activity which should be supported by the Company promoting their products... (and the cost vs. value rate of free copies of Garritan products was by far superior to our donations: what we offer cost to us full value, what the Company offers cost a fraction of the value for obvious reasons).

In case the competition has nothing to do with Make Music and Garritan products, and it's just a game between fellows musician, then before starting we should brainstorm a bit to find the most appreciated, fun, and agreed type of format.

I'm not criticizing... the opposite I really praise your initiative, but I'm just a bit confused about the event nature and aim.
    thanks again for your activity, cheers
    FV

Re: Call for help - could anyone donate?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    ...In case the competition has nothing to do with Make Music and Garritan products, and it's just a game between fellows musician, then before starting we should brainstorm a bit to find the most appreciated, fun, and agreed type of format...
    ...I'm just a bit confused about the event nature and aim...
    Remember when we used to have the orchestration contests, Fabio? They were just fun things we did as a community. The idea is to bring something like that back again. There were some earlier discussion threads on this, and Owen and I thought we were ready to get on with it - But if you or anyone has more input, it'd be great to hear it!

There's really nothing to be confused over - The aim is simply to have something we had going before, because it was a prime example of this Forum being a community of musicians, not just users of certain products. This online presence went way beyond being only a promotional site for Garritan a long time ago.

Randy

Thumbs up Re: Call for help - could anyone donate?

Thanks for confirming it. What confused me was the parallel discussion about weekend challanges of MM web site.

I didn't get if you were aiming for some similar initiative to stimulate MM, or just what you now explain being an independent intiative.

My suggestion was to make a kind of pool of rules, to:

- look how many people are voting and giving suggestions or expressing interest.

- consolidate the model people like most, to secure the maximum participation.

my 2 cents.

GOOD LUCK! and if I get time, maybe I will be in as well

Thanks for explaining, Randy. To confirm: This is nothing official, nothing to do with MM. It's just us here in this forum wanting to do something among ourselves. Prizes would be nice, just to encourage people to participate, but not essential.

A link to the thread where possible rules and format for our competition are being discussed is in my first post on this topic.

Owen, I think the only thing that will wake people up is just to go ahead and post the first challenge, extra incentives like prizes be damned. Maybe it will be a small turn out for the first round, but hopefully things will gain momentum, and more people will get involved as things go on.

Randy

Agreed. New challenge coming later today!

Owen:

Please include in the prices my $10, which I will send to the winner when you instruct me to do so.

Ted

Go Back to forum