• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB Harmonica Western...

Share/Bookmark

JABB Harmonica Western...

There is a banner add here on the site for a Harmonica. I heard a western piece and remembered that JABB has nice trumpets and a harmonica, so I wanted to see if I could get a western sounding cue piece.

So, here is my crack at a Western Harmonica.

Jim

EDITED: I remixed this with Embertone's Chapman Trumpet that I just got. It is a nice solo trumpet I think.

Re: JABB Harmonica Western...

I think you are close to a western sound. Maybe the trumpets need some changing for more of a Mexican brass sound. I guess I'm thinking like Ennio Morricone's spaghetti western music.

Phil

Hello Jim:

To me, this piece is more than what you wrote about it. It would, IMHO, with a different choice of instruments shine up what you have done. Please note the 'IMHO", I mean it.
    Thanks for posting it

Ted

Jim! This sounds great. It really has that '60's spaghetti Western sound to it. It can be such a fun challenge, to emulate a particular style of music, and I'd say you pretty much nailed this one. The composition is so clever and in-the-pocket throughout the whole thing.

Production-wise, for me the only let down was the trumpet in the second half - it needs more vibrato, for one thing, but it's just difficult to have those JABB trumpets in a spotlight.

AND this post reminded me of two things I put up some time ago. I think you'll be interested, since you just got through working with the JABB harmonica:

On this thread I'm linking to below, I did my first experiment with using the harmonica to emulate the sound on a recording of an actual harmonica. Besides pitch bend, there's AfterTouch for vibrato (of course), but I also automated the EQ throughout the track, and also automated a wah-wah plugin. That last element helped the results get closer to a characteristic harmonica playing style. And all that data was recorded in real time of course, so I had immediate feedback on what I was doing with the sound.

A JABB Harmonica experiment (4/13/2010)

Two years later, I posted another harmonica demo - I couldn't find the thread just now, but the link to the MP3 is on the screenshot below. The track is of the harmonica soloed in a "Tom Sawyer" track, so it's sparse, just playing an occasional accompaniment in the original full project. But in the screenshot you can see the automation envelope for Sonar's wah-wah, along with the other MIDI controllers used.

JABB Harmonica demo (5/26/2012)

(click image for MP3)

Loved your Western thang, Jim! Hope you have fun looking at these harmonica posts from the archive.

Randy

Thumbs up Re: JABB Harmonica Western...

great guitar and harmonica. Trumpet a bit too synthy.

very western

Thanks everyone for listening...AND challenge accepted. I went on the hunt for a proper solo trumpet and found one that I like and I think works really well.

Give this a listen again if you have the time!

Jim

Fun Stuff!

I have "Spagetti Western" in my own todo list for future composition attempts. I really like the guitars in this, especially the bass. They do a great job setting the tone what libraries did you use for these?

I think the embertone trumpet holds up quite well here. I've been playing with sample modeling's "The Trumpet" which I think has a timber that would also work quiet well for a Moriconne-esque piece.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    ...I went on the hunt for a proper solo trumpet and found one that I like and I think works really well...
    "Brilliant," Jim!-just as it says on the info page at Embertone's site. For once, a down-to-earth price for a great sounding instrument - only $30. Alas, only for full Kontakt. Once people have made the investment in Kontakt, they certainly have a universe of amazing instruments to choose from.

Yes! -your Western track really benefits from this trumpet. The JABB soloist you used before really sounds best in ensemble work, but it also has to played with vibrato, otherwise it's lifeless. There was something odd about the way it sounded in your original mix, and I had a hard time recognizing it as being from JABB. Do you remember which trumpet you used, and were there any particular mixing maneuvers you made that may have changed its sound?

In this new version, I heard vibrato on the trumpet's last note, but mid-way through the track, I wasn't noticing vibrato on sustained notes. I'm thinking you may just have a taste for less vibrato than I do, but I still think pouring it on more for this track would get even closer to the spaghetti Western sound you're emulating. I also think you'd enjoy adding that characteristic wah sound on the harmonica if you experiment with what I posted earlier.

Thanks Jim, - an already very fun post became even more fun!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    "Brilliant," Jim!-just as it says on the info page at Embertone's site. For once, a down-to-earth price for a great sounding instrument - only $30. Alas, only for full Kontakt. Once people have made the investment in Kontakt, they certainly have a universe of amazing instruments to choose from.

Yes! -your Western track really benefits from this trumpet. The JABB soloist you used before really sounds best in ensemble work, but it also has to played with vibrato, otherwise it's lifeless. There was something odd about the way it sounded in your original mix, and I had a hard time recognizing it as being from JABB. Do you remember which trumpet you used, and were there any particular mixing maneuvers you made that may have changed its sound?

In this new version, I heard vibrato on the trumpet's last note, but mid-way through the track, I wasn't noticing vibrato on sustained notes. I'm thinking you may just have a taste for less vibrato than I do, but I still think pouring it on more for this track would get even closer to the spaghetti Western sound you're emulating. I also think you'd enjoy adding that characteristic wah sound on the harmonica if you experiment with what I posted earlier.

Thanks Jim, - an already very fun post became even more fun!

Randy
    Well, the vibrato is there on this trumpet, but it will not let you get all "hokey" like some tools do, so in many places it is at 75% capacity for vibrato but it is just not that "profound". But it is a really nice trumpet for $30. I took the hit on Kontakt because I found there were so many cheap instruments that run in full Kontakt so over time it saved me money and I could pick and choose more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Bendshadler View Post
    Fun Stuff!

I have "Spagetti Western" in my own todo list for future composition attempts. I really like the guitars in this, especially the bass. They do a great job setting the tone what libraries did you use for these?

I think the embertone trumpet holds up quite well here. I've been playing with sample modeling's "The Trumpet" which I think has a timber that would also work quiet well for a Moriconne-esque piece.
    Well, let's see.

Harmonica JABB3
    Trumpet Embertone Trumpet
    Acoustic Guitar 1 Stumming Kontakt 5 Factory Akkord
    Electric Guitar Kontakt 5 Factory Elektric
    Acoustic Guitar 2 Strumming Illya Efimov
    Bass Session Instruments Bass (Cakewalk)
    Strings 1 GIO/GPO Sustain 1/3 and Lush Violins
    Strings 2 Kontakt 5 Vienna Symph
    Cello pocketBlaus
    Orchestral Percussion GIO
    Guns and Thunder DimensionPro Effects

Go Back to forum