• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Little Dog Fugue

Share/Bookmark

Little Dog Fugue

Little Dog Fugue

Most Americans will recognize the tune on which this fugue is based. I first learned it around 1943.

The mp3 is gpo organ. Time, about 2 minutes.

Richard

Re: Little Dog Fugue

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    As usual, quite a cacophonous copy and paste pile of sound you have going on there, Richard.

Randy

I suppose I am grateful that you took your time and effort to listen and comment, so I thank you for that.

Yet I have the distinct impression that you are either trying to drive me away, or at least would certainly be pleased if I spontaneously combusted or disintegrated to a small pile of molecular matter.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    ...Yet I have the distinct impression that you are either trying to drive me away, or at

least would certainly be pleased if I spontaneously combusted or disintegrated to a small pile of molecular matter.

Richard
    No, no, no, Richard - My post was something of an experiment, and it was an attempt to respond to music, not to you personally. The experiment was to let myself just improvisationally respond without engaging the usual "inner editor." My fingers just typed, ala "automatic writing," and then I clicked "Submit Reply" without censoring whatever it was I wrote. I felt I was hearing a wild improvisation based on the old popular tune, so thought a wild, improvisational response would be appropriate.

Hmmm, what I wrote does have a harsh, undiluted edge to it, and I admit I didn't think through what I was writing the way I usually do. But my intent was to simply respond in kind.

I have the impression that you like to challenge your listeners - isn't that true? I think my uncharacteristically blunt feedback came about as a way of wanting to challenge you in return.

But I don't want you to be a "small pile of molecular matter." Yours is a unique, integral voice on the Forum. I hope the offensiveness (?) in my earlier post is seen in a different light now, Richard.

Randy

Hello Richard:

Please do not disintegrate. I enjoyed your cacophonous piece, it sounds just great. I see and hear much more than cut and paste, you KNOW what you are doing, and, therefore, I know that you do not need my approval of your work.
    Keep them coming, please.

Ted

Well, I don think challenge is quite the term to use. But I do try hard to the the listener's attention, and call attention to the fact the techniques used in the past worked well in the past. As for me, I go my way, and I am pleased when the music is appreciated. I certainly agree that it often requires a new way of listening!

It should be obvious that I have a high respect for Bach, Bartok, and Brubeck!

I will not disintegrate voluntarily, although eventually body parts of me that remain attached will become ashes.

I left my heart in San Francisco, but I left various other parts in New York, Santa Rosa, and Sebastopol.

Richard

Lightbulb Re: Little Dog Fugue

Nice thread about music and psycology.

Actually I think Randy was surprisingly brave with this listening and challenging experiment, but I had some fun reading the whole sequence of posts.

Richard you have a pretty cool sense of humor, and I loved your final sentence about pieces of you spread around in USA.

But I find a little contradiction between looking for listener appreciation and listener education to new way of listening.
    I think this concept was driving the educated music away from public fruition down to a useless and artificial academic entity during last century.

Your music isn't as hard to listen as it is some avant-garde music, but still you like challenging common taste: it's ok, but if the listener doesn't appreciate, it's not a fault of the listener, in my personal opinion.

Hello Richard,

Thanks for posting your Little Dog Fugue. I haven't listened to one of your pieces for awhile. They do take you to a different musical place that might not be exactly challenging but you do have to stay focused to appreciate it.

I hope your getting enough rain there.

Phil

You've got my attention. Listened to the piece. It was challenging.

Raymond

Hi Richard,

Music education, a matter of taste, challenging... Music IS a language, a means of communication of thoughts, emotions, feelings. Construction and technique are just the carriers of the inner self expressed in these notes. So they are not that important as long as the message is passed through. You use a popular tune as a starter (not particularly a fugue theme), and you play around with it and morph it in various shapes and turns. It sounds almost like a hide-and-seek game. I find it very amusing.

The only insignificant remark I have is that the right ear (I listened with headphones) is a lot more distinct (discant) than the rest of the voices (lower voices). But that's all.

Nice approach!

Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast