• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Impulses

Share/Bookmark

Impulses

Well I hate to admit my ignorance but some how I have missed what \"impulses\" are. At first I thought it was a GOS thing, then I read someone talk about it with a piano sample. Is there a post explaining or could some of you more brilliant people please explain? I don\'t want to miss any of my options for making my software sound as good as possible!

Re: Impulses

Hi J.

This link should provide some info:

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb/AltiverbFAQ.html

it is concerning Altiverb (DP, mac app), although SF Acoustic Mirror also is a real-time convolution plugin for Direct X.

Also, here is a FREE convolution engine and some info:

http://www.ressl.com.ar/realreverb/index_old.html#about

-- it is a plugin for winamp .... but easy to setup and render your files .... cannot complain for being free. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

passacaglia

Interesting.... so do you have to use Altiverb?
    What are the impulses for GOS they included with the new updates??

J.

No, Altiverb is just one of a few software solutions for real-time convolution (mac only). It is technology that hasn\'t really caught on, mainly to do with companies like Sony and LakeDSP who have patents on all the good algorithms. Those two offer dedicated hardware (which of course is a glorified number cruncher with their algorithms).

I have no idea about the GOS impulse, i do not own that sample library. Although, there are TONS of great shareware impulse files, with great reverbs! All i use besides my hardware Lexicons [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

hope this helps

passacaglia

I\'ve tried all the impulses that come with Altiverb and they are really very good, in fact perhaps that\'s part of the reason that Altiverb is considered to be so great \'cos these excellent impulses only work with Altiverb itself.....but...compared with the GOS impulse they may as well be trashed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] For orchestral use anyway. The only thing I don\'t find them to go that well with is pianos.

It simply is worth the price of GOS just for this impulse and I\'m not exagerating for a second. GOS, Altiverb and a cheap G4 is less costly than a Lexicon 960L...or even a PCM91 for that matter. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Not only does the GOS impulse make your stuff sound so good and real (especially brass), you don\'t even have to do anything anymore! I used to add separate reverb for each section, EQ each part etc etc. but now I just put the GOS impulse on and I\'m done!* And it sounds much, much better than what I was doing before.

*Slight exageration but not _that_ far from the truth. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

ok, [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] now I really want to know if anyone can comment on the quality difference between AltiVerb with the Gos Impulse and Acoustic Mirror with the same impulse.... I have the latter set and am also very impressed. Is AltiVerb still a lot better (I mean: with this impulse)?

I\'ve just started to build my own studio - mainly run through my PC; this Acoustic Mirror software sounds great, so I was wondering what is the better to buy (with regards to orchestral music): Acoustic Mirror or a standard reverb plug-in such as Waves Ren Reverb?

well...

an impulse file that is worth $1000 ?? oh my, i cannot imagine that being true. would be cheaper maybe to rent 2 good mics, a portable dat machine and fly to the destination they used to record the acoustic fingerprint [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and make one yourself.

both Altiverb and Acoustic Mirror are simply convolution engines. Quality is only determined by the impulse file you feed it. The main issue of comparison is efficiancy. Both apps use 32 bit floating point calculations, which still makes it cpu intensive. RealReverb uses integer math, so it will be more of a hog [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

as far as acoustic mirror vs ren verb .... simply, ren verb is synthetic, although, you have more control with that than you would with an impulse file. but for the sake of realism, convolution is far better in most cases.

not to mention, you will have a very difficult time running more than 2 instances of acoustic mirror at one time. rumor has it that there will be a load of vst convolution plugins in the near future, ones with optimized calculations. and from what i have also heard, Acoustic Mirror is no longer in development, meaning, have quit trying to make it more efficiant.

passacaglia

So are there any low cost alternatives for the mac? OR, better yet, will Giga soon support 3rd party plug ins so we can plug straight into Giga??

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by passacaglia:
    well...

an impulse file that is worth $1000 ?? oh my, i cannot imagine that being true. would be cheaper maybe to rent 2 good mics, a portable dat machine and fly to the destination they used to record the acoustic fingerprint [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and make one yourself.

***snip***

as far as acoustic mirror vs ren verb .... simply, ren verb is synthetic, although, you have more control with that than you would with an impulse file. but for the sake of realism, convolution is far better in most cases.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, impulsing a room yourself is trickier than you might imagine. The reason that Ernest\'s impulses sound so good is that he has developed a brilliant \"engine\" with which to produce them. That\'s where the magic is coming from. The Sonic Foundry engine for producing impulses, on the other hand, is not nearly as good sounding. I have definite experience in this--having impulsed one of the world\'s finest concert halls with somewhat lackluster results, despite doing everything \"first class.\" It\'s all about the engine that takes the information and produces the impulse, and Ernest seems to have come up with the finest one ever made. Not surprising, he is a brain!!

I don\'t agree that convolution is necessarily a \"better\" technology, though. This whole \"real\" vs. \"synthetic\" argument is a bit stilted. It\'s all synthetic in the bigger picture. What I have noticed is that people tend to use reverb very poorly, and to make it the first thing to blame when their recordings lack spaciousness. In fact, reverb is just the icing on the cake of \"spaciousness,\" and there are countless factors which contribute.

A convolver tends to be viewed as the holy grail because one can run an entire stereo mix through it and get a rather spectacular result. However, just as spectacular a result can come from the skillful trackwise application of good reverbs, with the additional advantage of detailed control.

I guess I\'m just saying that people shouldn\'t simplify the issues at hand. There really are no holy grails--they just don\'t exist. Every technology has its tradeoffs and strengths, and these technologies exist and all continue to develop because they really do ALL work!! Getting good results from them is the challenge, and no amount of technological advance is as critical as good ears and the skillset to put technology to work.

Go Back to forum