• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan Steinway accompanies Adele

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Steinway accompanies Adele

OK, not actually Adele! But I think the vocalist (Erika) does a great job.

I am going to be collaborating with Erika. The story behind this:

Erika had a contract with Paramount to write 3 songs. When the final versions arrived for her approval, she hated what had been done with them, burst into tears, and never called the company back. I have persuaded her to have another go and offered to work with her to produce some songs - her way, and with her vocals. She agreed.

Here is her video on YouTube, recorded with just a webcam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0weOQKsIL7k

I was so impressed that I decided to do one of them - Adele's Someone Like You. A good opportunity for me to practice using my new software (Sonar Producer version 8 - I just "upgraded" from Home Studio version 6 - cost me all of $30!), including the pitch correction plugin that comes with it. There's a few blips that I can't work out how to get rid of, but anyway, here it is:

https://app.box.com/s/7zfv4lxtfleqngbib37p

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Garritan Steinway accompanies Adele

Hi Owen,

What a lovely song and I have to admit, that your singer has a wonderful, natural voice.

There are a few minor inconsistencies in the tuning, but it is a very decent recording. The voice could however do better in a larger acoustic (recorded in a normal room? It shows a lot of early reflections?). Isn't it possible to make the voice sound brighter and bigger with Sonar?

Thanks for sharing and my admiring regards to Erika.

Max

This is so beautiful. A very touching song. The piano and voice are just great. She has beautiful voice. Thanks for sharing this great piece.

Regards,

Richard

The birth of what promises to be a wonderful collaboration! You are totally up to to the job of accompanying Erika, Owen. Now --get that gal a microphone! It's almost criminal, her voice captured with that crappy little webcam mike--whoosh.

EDIT: I just read the other posts - You were asked if you couldn't make her track sounding better with Sonar. Simple answer is - no. It's the old formula: garbage in=garbage out. There's simply no way to totally rescue a track made with a really bad mike like that.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    The birth of what promises to be a wonderful collaboration! You are totally up to to the job of accompanying Erika, Owen. Now --get that gal a microphone! It's almost criminal, her voice captured with that crappy little webcam mike--whoosh.

EDIT: I just read the other posts - You were asked if you couldn't make her track sounding better with Sonar. Simple answer is - no. It's the old formula: garbage in=garbage out. There's simply no way to totally rescue a track made with a really bad mike like that.

Randy
    Hi Randy, You're absolutely right here. Of course I didn't mean that particular recording (which is poor), but in general. A good recording in a decent acoustic room, with a decent microphone and then freshening up the voice (with Sonar). There's no way to make a poor recording a brilliant one with digital trickery.

Max

Max and Richard: Appreciate your comments about her voice. I will pass them on, and I know she will appreciate them. She has better equipment now, so we are in the process of re-doing the song.

Randy: "Almost criminal" - that's quite a compliment for her voice. I agree, it needs to be heard in its full glory. I look forward to posting some better examples. She's just sent me a rough vocal of the first of her original songs, and I think there's a fine album on the cards.

Cool Re: Garritan Steinway accompanies Adele

yes great performance on piano and vocal side, definitely bad acoustic in the recording.
    (harmonic blur, noise and reflections are almost impossible to fix. Paradoxally it's easier to fix wrong timing and bad intonation thanks to modern tools but no magic wand yet for bad recordings, because the noise and reflections convolve the sound and are hard to remove without unnatural and unpleasant results)

I'm with Randy, you deserve a mic! I may suggest you look for some unexpensive frames reducing dramatically the unwanted early reflections and white noise. Something like that

http://www.vicoustic.com/music-broad...es/accessory/2

Thanks, Fabio. I always wondered what those were for!

Go Back to forum