• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Question for PC Users...

Share/Bookmark

Question for PC Users...

I\'m a Mac user and and know nothing about PCs.

Two years ago, I bought a PC from Soundchaser that was configured by them to run Giga. It did that great. Eventually, I got the bright idea of dumping GIGA and the PC and using only my Mac, with KONTAKT or Mach5. That has not worked out and I need to go back to having a PC to run GIGA.

I know I \"overpaid\" for a PC to run GIGA because they put it together, etc. PC users would come over and laugh and say, \"I could have got one twice as fast for half that!.\" Not wanting that to happen again, can anyone tell me the best way to:

1 Get a PC that will run Giga and libraries like VSL and QLSO with no problem

2 Only soundcard requirement is that it have a SPDIF out and built in midi interface. The Giga PC will only RECEIVE midi and is being used only for GIGA, not recording, which I\'m doing on the MAC via Pro Tools.

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Question for PC Users...

Tom,

I use two computers with Midioverlan (Giga and a Kontakt Sonar Machine(s) I use in the master machine an Echo Layla24 and in the Giga Machine a Frontier Wave Center PCI card. I use all of the Tos-link digital connectors and NO midi cables.

Alan Russell

Why not continue to run VSL on your Soundchaser computer with Giga 2.54? This should still work fine.

QLSO will need it\'s own separate computer from Giga. You should be able to run it on your G5 although PC\'s have the edge at this time with the NI engines. NI has been updating their engine and hopefully OSX users will finally start getting the performance equal to a PC\'s.

Tom, are you looking to actually build your own machine from scratch? It\'s actually a lot easier than one would think, and that\'s speaking from experience.

A few things you could look into...get a nice Asus motherboard, they\'re good, reliable, and headache free. Get a 2.8 to a 3.2 Intel P4 depending on your budget, and get retail, not OEM. Retail has a 3 year warranty and is well worth the extra few bucks if a lightning bolt ever hits your computer, OEM has only 90 days.

Get an Antec case, Sonata series is great for looks, performance, excellent power supply and quiet. Ram, get 1-2 gigs of pc3200. Crucial or Kingston have a solid rep.

The rest is pretty generic. Most video cards will do the job. I prefer ATI and haven\'t had any probs with them. CD burners are practically free these days. The high end Asus boards come with gigabit LAN connectors already, so no need for a NIC card.

That should get ya started...
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Hudson:
    Tom, are you looking to actually build your own machine from scratch? It\'s actually a lot easier than one would think, and that\'s speaking from experience.

A few things you could look into...get a nice Asus motherboard, they\'re good, reliable, and headache free. Get a 2.8 to a 3.2 Intel P4 depending on your budget, and get retail, not OEM. Retail has a 3 year warranty and is well worth the extra few bucks if a lightning bolt ever hits your computer, OEM has only 90 days.

Get an Antec case, Sonata series is great for looks, performance, excellent power supply and quiet. Ram, get 1-2 gigs of pc3200. Crucial or Kingston have a solid rep.

The rest is pretty generic. Most video cards will do the job. I prefer ATI and haven\'t had any probs with them. CD burners are practically free these days. The high end Asus boards come with gigabit LAN connectors already, so no need for a NIC card.

That should get ya started...
    -Hudson
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks everyone for the ideas!

To clarify, I got rid of my old PC so I have NONE now and am starting over. I wasn\'t looking to build because i have no idea what I\'m doing with that stuff, though I do have a PC friend who does.

Hudson, or Lee....anyone...can you give me an idea of what this will cost/save, vs. buying one outrright? I have to either figure in a monitor, or some kind of device that would let me share my Mac\'s Cinema display with a switch of some kind...last I checked they were very expensive....

Thanks again!

You\'ll save about $75, and if you have a store do it you\'ll get a guarantee. That\'s if you pick the system; if you have a configuraterizer do it, it\'ll cost more but you\'ll have tech support and a better guarantee.

I also wouldn\'t be so fast to follow Hudson\'s (no offense) or anyone else\'s recommendations, since the software hasn\'t been released yet. Giga 3 is a different animal from 2.5, since it has built-in convolution reverbs and no imposed limit on polyphony.

If you build one yourself, to your own specifications, you will save a CONSIDERABLE amount of money over buying a comparable machine. (Hundreds of dollars.)

I have built a number of boxes, and don\'t have to worry about tech support because I\'M the tech support. Contrary to popular belief, PC\'s are not all that difficult to build and repair.

The last one I built could easily have been bought -- for about $2,000. I paid a total of $700 and one hour of building time.

There are a lot of building guides on the Internet. Check them out to see how easy it really is.

Whether you build or buy, if the PC will be near you, make sure to get quiet components. There are many recent threads on this in the NS hardware forum. (For instance Gigabyte and Asus were mentioned above. Gigabyte has a fan. Asus does not.)

For audio I\'d go with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, or something even cheaper, if you can find S/PDIF and GSIF on a lower cost board. Since it\'s all digital, the audio quality will be identical. Spend more if you need more audio channels.

Oh, and make sure that the S/PDIF output covers both consumer and pro formats. They\'re different, and I don\'t know what your Mac has.

Alan mentioned MidiOverLan. It\'s great, but not supported on the Mac.

I\'d buy a separate USB Midi adapter. Something akin to the M-Audio MidiSport with four inputs. If you need four MIDI inputs and only one audio channel, getting separate audio and MIDI solutions is the most effective.

If you\'ve got a friend who knows PCs and is willing to teach and rescue you, it would be very worthwhile to build your own. If you have more money than time and expertise, spend the money and save yourself the time.

Good luck!

> \"But it\'s FAR better to put all that junk in another room.\"

Absolutely! I wish putting the PCs in a remote location were practical for me. That would have been my first choice. Loud computers drive me nuts! (That\'s my excuse anyway. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

I built a sealed quiet box - It cost me $200, but has probably saved me $300 in extra $$$ for \"quiet\" components. Plus you get to pipe heat out and it looks cool.

Go Back to forum