• Register
  • Help

Topic: Preview - Violinconcerto nr.1 - part 1

Share/Bookmark

Preview - Violinconcerto nr.1 - part 1

Still under construction, rendering wise. But the main idea is there.
    Next week I will change the solo violin Special Edition Vol1/2 from Vienna for the full samples.

Flutes are GPO (I doubled the solo flute)
    Timpani Hard Hits also GPO, Rolls EWQL (the hard hits from GPO are more musical, the EWQL's just "boom")
    Other wind instruments from EWQL
    Orchestral strings VSL, subset Ensemble stuff that came with the Special Edition Package.

http://www.demuziekvanraymondrobijns...concertos.html

Part 2 is almost ready, notewise. Then follows the necessary "massage" of all notes. Oh, boy, what a hobby!

Raymond

Re: Preview - Violinconcerto nr.1 - part 1

Impressive, genius wise.

(If this is the way the SE violin sounds like, I can't imagine what you can expect from the Full one)
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thumbs up Re: Preview - Violinconcerto nr.1 - part 1

Great work!
    expressive colourful writing.

I don't know if the VSL solo Violin is the real best in class to be very honest I don't think so.

The sound tends to be flat even if you use the whole palette of articulations (changing articulations is fine for fast passages, but it's not equally effective for lyrical or slow phrases...)

Anyway... waiting for better solos, congratulations for the way you master it!

At least, it seems someone is paying attention to this work.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    Great work!
    expressive colourful writing.

I don't know if the VSL solo Violin is the real best in class to be very honest I don't think so.
    .. can you give me a link to another and better solo vioin lib?

Raymond

Lightbulb Re: Preview - Violinconcerto nr.1 - part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    .. can you give me a link to another and better solo vioin lib?

Raymond
    I sent you a private answer, to avoid too much commercial discussions off topic in public.

What about those Italians? There is a Fabio and a fabiolcati. One from Milano. Are they different guys, or are they "unknown to us" twins? (haha). Fabio the Great and/or Fabio the Magnificent?

Being a bit more serious. You folks are right about the sound of the solo violin, but do remember that this is the Solo Violin Vol1/Vol2 from the subset called Special edition. I checked again the full library with the demos at the VSL site:

• Borodin - String Quartet D Major - Notturno
    • Beethoven - String Quartet op. 59/3 - Finale
    • Prokofiev - violinconcerto II - Andante

with some Youtube recordings of recent date. Apart from Prokofiev's piece which is a bit faster at the VSL site, they come very close. For your information also: I am planning purchasing the full Solo Strings not only for this violinconcerto and others, but also for better recorded stringquartets.

Part 2 has been notated fully with Overture. Now for the moulding of the notes, articulations, dynamics....etc. This takes some time.

Thank you for commenting and your help,

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Let's first talk about your brilliant music. The sample library is nothing but a means of transport for your so rich musical ideas.

The first movement is quite impressive and displays such a rich palette of genial orchestration techniques, but despite of that, the solo violin stands as a rock and dominates in a very virtuoso-like manner the entire score. By the way, a big round of applause for the mastering of all the techniques and articulations! The movement offers us so many emotions in a rapid succession, like a huge waterfall coming over us. I'm particularly fond of the way you've prepared the final: a delicate but stringent building up with finally a release in trills and diminuendi ending in a soft sigh. Splendid.

That is very promising. Please go on and offer us the other movements soon.

As to the samples, you're right, you did whatever you could (and that's already an impressive lot) with the half-half SE solo violin. The full libraries (+ extended) are very different as to articulations, techniques AND recording. The SE only has one sample per whole tone, the full version sampled every half step; the dynamics are included as well (for each note, short and longer) to have a natural bow movement. I'm sure VSL is not the only option, but I've never heard any equivalent so far. The Berlin Symphony Orchestra is planning to record a full library as well for Kontakt. But what will be their price...?

Anyway, many congrats with this fantastic realisation!

Max

Go Back to forum